New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I shut down am iMac with OSX & XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joelw135

joelw135 is on a distinguished road

I plan to run my iMac with both OSX and XP in a virtual machine. I have a UPS and am wondering how the system shuts down with XP Pro in a virtual machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If I'm understanding you correctly, OS X would be the OS and XP would be run using Parallels/Fusion.

When XP runs, it is basically "running in a window" just like any other application. You can resize it, minimize it, etc. The OS X desktop will still be visible behind it. The exception to this is when you choose to enter full-screen mode. In full screen, you will not be able to tell OS X is installed on the Mac be looking at the display. Windows takes up every pixel on the display.

If you shut down XP, it doesn't turn off the computer. Windows logs off and the window that XP was running in closes (like when you quit any other application). OS X is still running and the desktop is still there ready to use.

Hope this makes sense. I guess you can't think of XP as an OS while it is running in a VM. It's more like an application. You open it, use it, and then close it when you are finished--all the while OS X (the OS) never stops running.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly, OS X would be the OS and XP would be run using Parallels/Fusion.

When XP runs, it is basically "running in a window" just like any other application. You can resize it, minimize it, etc. The OS X desktop will still be visible behind it. The exception to this is when you choose to enter full-screen mode. In full screen, you will not be able to tell OS X is installed on the Mac be looking at the display. Windows takes up every pixel on the display.

If you shut down XP, it doesn't turn off the computer. Windows logs off and the window that XP was running in closes (like when you quit any other application). OS X is still running and the desktop is still there ready to use.

Hope this makes sense. I guess you can't think of XP as an OS while it is running in a VM. It's more like an application. You open it, use it, and then close it when you are finished--all the while OS X (the OS) never stops running.
I think I understand, starting XP will be like any other program, so it doesn't go through the whole startup routine. But I guess it still installs all the video drivers etc, that XP needs.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
I think I understand, starting XP will be like any other program, so it doesn't go through the whole startup routine. But I guess it still installs all the video drivers etc, that XP needs.
You basically open the virtual environment application (vmware, parallels etc..) and start windows xp. Windows XP will then go through the same boot sequence it does when you start a PC.

To shut it down, its basically the same.. Start > Shutdown. Once windows xp has shut down you can close the virtual environment application.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.heron View Post
You basically open the virtual environment application (vmware, parallels etc..) and start windows xp. Windows XP will then go through the same boot sequence it does when you start a PC.

To shut it down, its basically the same.. Start > Shutdown. Once windows xp has shut down you can close the virtual environment application.
Thanks that makes it much more clear. I hope the iMac 24" 3.06 can handle being loaded with XP Pro and OSX 24/7. I edit a huge amount of photos so XP will have my photo program loaded on one monitor all the time. I will chances are move it to the smaller LCD when it is not being used.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

You can allocate how much memory is dedicated to XP. I only use it occasionally and usually only have a single app open in it. Of my 2gb, 512mb is dedicated to XP (only when it's open) and the balance remains with OS X. If you had 4gb you could allocate more if necessary.

This is one of the reasons many prefer XP over Vista in a VM. You want to use a system which requires the least amount of resources to do what you need it to do.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
You can allocate how much memory is dedicated to XP. I only use it occasionally and usually only have a single app open in it. Of my 2gb, 512mb is dedicated to XP (only when it's open) and the balance remains with OS X. If you had 4gb you could allocate more if necessary.

This is one of the reasons many prefer XP over Vista in a VM. You want to use a system which requires the least amount of resources to do what you need it to do.
Can that allocation be changed at a later date as I am not sure how much my photography program will use.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Yes. It's not like partitioning a HD. You are just telling the VM how much memory it's allowed to use when it opens. It's a setting in the preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Yes. It's not like partitioning a HD. You are just telling the VM how much memory it's allowed to use when it opens. It's a setting in the preferences.
That is great as I found that my photography program works best with at least 1.5 gb of ram.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleep | Microsoft Office vs. Open Office »