New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

From Lenovo to Mac


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Jonnyinter

 
Member Since: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 2
Jonnyinter is on a distinguished road

Jonnyinter is offline
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I just wanted to ask for all you new macbook users out there, is it smart to switch from my lenovo X61 Tablet to a new Macbook (pro)? I use the tablet everyday for my school work because of its 5 hour battery life and its ability to write on the screen. But I only really use that feature for math, its much faster to type. So i was looking at the new Macbooks and I really like them and was wondering if I should get one. I know that I am on a mac forum but I would like to know some reasons why not to also. Thanks a million.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
I've often thought about taking math notes using some kind of tablet, but I've never really gotten into it.

Let me put it this way:
The new macbooks won't last a full 5 hours under most realistic conditions and don't have pen input. They do have OS X and will be a fair bit snappier due to the faster processor.

The decision is yours, but it doesn't really seem like an ideal swap if you really rely on the touchscreen input (unless you're willing to deal with dragging a wacom tablet around).
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

 
goddess_of_go's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 13, 2008
Posts: 38
goddess_of_go is on a distinguished road

goddess_of_go is offline
Well, this is minor, but if you are in love with the track point, as I am, you might find the switch to a touch pad difficult. I happen to have an iMac rather than a notebook so that isn't an issue for me, but I have a couple of IBM external keyboards. I have a Motion M1400 tablet, and I bought my first IBM external keyboard to use with it and I loved it so much that I bought a second one to have on hand at work when I had the tablet in the dock.

As a tablet user I can understand how nice it is to write on the screen, but since you only use it for math class you might find that you can get by with paper for that class and scan your notes if you want to have them available later.

But DO ask someone with a mac notebook if you can use it for a little while to see if you can part with your track point.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyinter

 
Member Since: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 2
Jonnyinter is on a distinguished road

Jonnyinter is offline
Quote:
I've often thought about taking math notes using some kind of tablet, but I've never really gotten into it.

Let me put it this way:
The new macbooks won't last a full 5 hours under most realistic conditions and don't have pen input. They do have OS X and will be a fair bit snappier due to the faster processor.

The decision is yours, but it doesn't really seem like an ideal swap if you really rely on the touchscreen input (unless you're willing to deal with dragging a wacom tablet around).
Yeah but I mean I can just use paper for math and thats why I'm thinking about switching to a mac, because I never really use the tablet mode for anything else. And the most battery life I will ever need in 1 day is 4 hours (and someone I know who has a mac can make it last 4 hours).
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Canada!!!
Posts: 269
Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

Andy348 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyinter View Post
Yeah but I mean I can just use paper for math and thats why I'm thinking about switching to a mac, because I never really use the tablet mode for anything else. And the most battery life I will ever need in 1 day is 4 hours (and someone I know who has a mac can make it last 4 hours).
Apparently the new MacBooks have the ability to go 5 hours unplugged using the internet. This is at half brightness.

I doubt that that is 100% realistic, but its got to be close.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

 
bad.heron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 15, 2008
Location: England, UK
Posts: 285
bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

bad.heron is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyinter View Post
Yeah but I mean I can just use paper for math and thats why I'm thinking about switching to a mac, because I never really use the tablet mode for anything else. And the most battery life I will ever need in 1 day is 4 hours (and someone I know who has a mac can make it last 4 hours).
It seems like you are more swayed into making the transition into getting a Mac. Have you used a Mac before?

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
kylen721

 
kylen721's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 01, 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 61
kylen721 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD

kylen721 is offline
if all you are using the touch screen for is math notes I would say that you will be just fine with the mac. I have classes from 8am to about 1:30pm and have not had problems with my battery on my macbook, but I do have a couple breaks in there
QUOTE Thanks
jamesl

 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2008
Posts: 29
jamesl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch

jamesl is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddess_of_go View Post
Well, this is minor, but if you are in love with the track point, as I am, you might find the switch to a touch pad difficult. I happen to have an iMac rather than a notebook so that isn't an issue for me, but I have a couple of IBM external keyboards. I have a Motion M1400 tablet, and I bought my first IBM external keyboard to use with it and I loved it so much that I bought a second one to have on hand at work when I had the tablet in the dock.

As a tablet user I can understand how nice it is to write on the screen, but since you only use it for math class you might find that you can get by with paper for that class and scan your notes if you want to have them available later.

But DO ask someone with a mac notebook if you can use it for a little while to see if you can part with your track point.

Terri
I switched from a Thinkpad T40 to a MBP (early 08). At first, I thought I would miss the trackpoint, however due to the solid response and precision of the trackpad, making the transition was not difficult. Plus, I love the multitouch functions. It makes life much easier. I hope 10.5.6 will include Expose support (4 finger)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Do I have a virus or spyware???? | Just Got The Neww Macbook For Free!!!!! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
At my wits end with my Mac... christianhough Switcher Hangout 31 01-28-2009 09:32 PM
Has The Mac Been Hacked...... MaDDoG Apple Rumors and Reports 5 05-01-2007 07:06 PM
To Mac Pro or not to Mac Pro? london Switcher Hangout 32 08-21-2006 11:57 PM
Switcher Article in Today's Times studio34 Switcher Hangout 9 08-11-2006 03:10 PM
It's called a Mac iSheep Schweb's Lounge 22 10-13-2004 05:35 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?