I've switched but have a few questions
    Posted a day or 2 ago & asked for input...got it & got my new MBP today. Very excited & happy. THX guys.

Went w/ the 15", 2.4, 2GB, 250GB....

I've turned on, got connected to net & fixed a few setting here & there.

Also purchased Fusion...loaded but now I've got questions.

Do I have to load an OS? All I really want to do is use MS Office products (Outlook, excel, ppt, word...).

I have a MS Office Pro disc that I've loaded to other PCs no problems but when I throw it in Mac nothing...was expecting it to just load but NO. Can someone help??

I'll do some searching & reading but I'm sure I'll find hints & answers to other ?'s...

Any suggestions?

Thx

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Yes you have to install an OS into Fusion.

The MS Office Pro disc wouldn't do anything in a Mac, it is not designed for it and will not run the .exe's.
    masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am

OK, thx. I think there is some way to transfer from existing PC as well as finding getting a disc w/ OS on it...

Thx

Specs:
    15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
    You will need a OS install disc. If you are wanting to install Windows you will need to get a Install CD or a .Dmg which is a disc mounting image.
    15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
    2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600

I've got a OS DVD MS Windows XP Media Center 2005...is that just as good as any to install??

Or is there something else I should try to use??

Intuitively I'd think any is just as good as another unless someone just loves one vs another, say Vista...as an example.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Vegas View Post
    I've got a OS DVD MS Windows XP Media Center 2005...is that just as good as any to install??

Intuitively I'd think any is just as good as another unless someone just loves one vs another, say Vista...as an example.

Thx
    Quite frankly, rather than bothering with Fusion, you should consider using Crossover. This app lets you run many Windows apps without installing or having Windows itself. They explicitly support MS Office, with some versions working better than others. Check out their compatibility database and be sure to read through the forum for each version to see the latest news and issues (if there are any).

EDIT: They just released a new update the other day with many improvements in Office support.
    Compatibility - Browse Apps by Name[app_name]=ASC;curPos=50

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Does Crossover support games too? Like COD4?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariaguy View Post
    Indeed they do:

Windows Games Seamlessly Integrated on Mac or Linux - CrossOver Games

I used the trial version to get Team Fortress 2 running like a champ on my Mac Pro.
    --David
    My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjc.americor View Post
    You will need a OS install disc. If you are wanting to install Windows you will need to get a Install CD or a .Dmg which is a disc mounting image.
    Windows doesn't come in a DMG file, at least not the legal, retail version.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Vegas View Post
    You'll need either a retail version of Windows or an OEM edition for System Builders. Using a disc that came with another computer can be problematic for both legal and technical reasons.

Thx
    I'd recommend Windows XP with Service Pack 2 integrated. You can pick up an OEM version from NewEgg.com for about $100. Just don't expect to be able to play many high end games in Fusion - although it can run some, the performance would be weak at best. If gaming is what you're after, you'll want to install Windows via Boot Camp.

Most of your questions are covered in this FAQ:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ers-guide.html
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
    Why dont you use Mail for outlook and openoffice for MS office.

Quote Originally Posted by aquariaguy View Post
    Just to expand on what dalison said... Crossover does explicitly and officially support a few games. Many others work perfectly, mostly well, or poorly (if at all). The only way to be sure is to check the compatibility database and see the status or read through that game's forum. Oftentimes, a game will work fine with just a no-cd patch applied.

In the case of games, you wouldn't want to use Fusion anyway. There's too much overhead on the system by running Windows "in a window" along with that emulation software. Crossover offers very little performance hit since it's not actually running Windows. If a game doesn't run under Crossover, you may have to resort to using the Boot Camp option.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information