New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Potential New Mac User. Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jay707

Jay707 is on a distinguished road

First off I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I stumbled upon this forum earlier today because I've been contemplating making the switch from PC to MAC. So I had to make an account and ask you guys.

Anyways. I have my eyes set on a macbook/pro. Since you guys are experts on MACS I had a quick question for you.

The reasons I would use my MAC are for basic things. To browse the web, downloading, school work, Itunes, and any other thing the MAC has to offer.

Which one do you guys think would be a better choice? Memory, hard drive, etc.. wise
QUOTE Thanks
tjbackstage

tjbackstage is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)

If you're doing simple things like that, the new $1k MacBook would be more than enough. Go to an Apple store and check it out!

Notebook: aluminum MacBook (2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 32GB partition for Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 running in VMWare Fusion 2)
iPod: 16GB iPod Touch (2nd generation), 8GB iPod Nano (3rd generation)
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Try the refurb shop first.
You can usually save quite a bit.
Items sold are throughly checked and come with the same 12 month warranty.
They arrive just like new.
QUOTE Thanks
bmxxx

bmxxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB

But in any case, definately go Mac. It can be a tough decision to make, but once you take the leap you will find you have landed in a special community where your computer works HOW you want, does WHAT you want, WHEN you want it. What a concept eh?

MacBook|2.4GHz|250GB/iPod G4|20 GB
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay707 View Post
First off I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I stumbled upon this forum earlier today because I've been contemplating making the switch from PC to MAC. So I had to make an account and ask you guys.

Anyways. I have my eyes set on a macbook/pro. Since you guys are experts on MACS I had a quick question for you.

The reasons I would use my MAC are for basic things. To browse the web, downloading, school work, Itunes, and any other thing the MAC has to offer.

Which one do you guys think would be a better choice? Memory, hard drive, etc.. wise
What is your reasoning behind making the switch?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jay707

Jay707 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
What is your reasoning behind making the switch?
To try something new? Maybe I'm guilty of falling for the propaganda apple was trying to get in our heads as well. Which was one of the reasons I even looked into a Mac.

My friend actually showed me his. He basically told me that its easier to use and that the system is just better than a PC. He doesn't have to worry about getting a virus or anything of that sort. That he loves his Mac and doesn't think he'll go back to PC. He's also a student. Which the discount they give is a good thing as well.

Another thing is that I have the chance to buy another Comp in the next month. So that's another reason I was even thinking about this.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

i suggest you borrow your friends mac, or go to an apple store and try and spend time getting acquainted with the system and how it works
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay707 View Post
To try something new? Maybe I'm guilty of falling for the propaganda apple was trying to get in our heads as well. Which was one of the reasons I even looked into a Mac.

My friend actually showed me his. He basically told me that its easier to use and that the system is just better than a PC. He doesn't have to worry about getting a virus or anything of that sort. That he loves his Mac and doesn't think he'll go back to PC. He's also a student. Which the discount they give is a good thing as well.

Another thing is that I have the chance to buy another Comp in the next month. So that's another reason I was even thinking about this.
Those are great reasons to consider a Mac. I ask this question, because a lot of people that would otherwise be perfectly content with a Windows machine will buy a Mac and when they find it to be different, are disappointed.

If you're going to switch, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Wanting to "try something new" is a good reason because it implies that you'll approach it with an open mind. So many people get hung up with the "Well, I did it this way in Windows" mentality. Just because something is different doesn't make it better (or worse).

So, I agree with BlackCivic, stop by an Apple Store if you can and give it a spin. See if it agrees with you. Also, be prepared to spend some time reading forums like this one or picking up a copy of "OS X: The Missing Manual", because it will take a little bit of time to get totally comfortable. Once you get there, however, the experience can be very rewarding. As you've noted, there's a lot of benefits to OS X. Very little maintenance, almost no problems with viruses or other malware, and a very responsive and user friendly operating system.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Astraeus77

Astraeus77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 2.53GHz/4GB RAM/320 GB HD; iPod

I agree with everyone who has posted about visiting and Apple store. I had a personal shopping appointment yesterday and it was an excellent and very helpful experience. I have been mulling over switching from a PC to a Mac for a little while now. I have been reading over the Apple site, viewing the videos and reading what I though would help me. The next step was being shown what a Mac could do, and how it worked. I am now a new MacBook Pro owner! I also signed up for the One to One training, which is very reasonably priced, so I can properly learn to become proficient with my new computer. I highly recommend registering for a personal shopping appointment at your Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
bmxxx

bmxxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB

Well then let me be the first to welcome you into the Mac community and congratulations on the new MBP! You will love it.

MacBook|2.4GHz|250GB/iPod G4|20 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adium/AIM | bootcamp.. how to switch back? »