New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What password manager?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joelw135

joelw135 is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of switching from Windows XP to a 24" iMac. I use Firefox as my web browser and use RoboForm as my password manager. I am not sure if RoboForm will work with Firefox running in OSX, so I need a Free password manager. Anyone know of a good one?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn View Post
Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app
The password manager is important, but the form filler is something I use a huge amount.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn View Post
Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app
I love RoboForm and I hate to be without it. I love the way it pops up at a web page with a password making it very simple to use.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I also was a Roboform user and have found 1Password a great replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
I also was a Roboform user and have found 1Password a great replacement.
According to the people at RoboForm they will be releasing an IPhone version then the OSX version in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
GoKyu

GoKyu is on a distinguished road

I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.

"Der Herrgott nimmt, der Herrgott gibt,
Doch gibt er nur dem, den er auch liebt?"
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKyu View Post
I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.
I guess I will use the Firefox manager and the form filler from Google until I either buy something new or RoboForm comes out with their OSX version.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.
When I first became paranoid I used a biometric fingerprint reader for all my passwords and loved it. But it became troublesome when I switched to XP and the driver and software didn't have a free upgrade. They raised the price to where it wasn't worth it. I wonder if there is a good alternative for OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid

Plus I would need something that is easily portable...
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid

Plus I would need something that is easily portable...
I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend!!

It's definitely a good idea to take as many precautions as you can - especially when access to bank account data is involved!

But for everyday website passwords the fingerprint scanner would probably be more hassle than I'd be willing to transport. I'm afraid I don't know of any alternative drivers though...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Viewing Email problem? | I've switched but have a few questions »