Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    What password manager?
    I am in the process of switching from Windows XP to a 24" iMac. I use Firefox as my web browser and use RoboForm as my password manager. I am not sure if RoboForm will work with Firefox running in OSX, so I need a Free password manager. Anyone know of a good one?

  2. #2

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app

  3. #3

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlyn View Post
    Firefox has a really good built in password manager. I personally use 1Password, but it's not free, but it's a really great app
    The password manager is important, but the form filler is something I use a huge amount.

  4. #4

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app

  5. #5

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlyn View Post
    Yeah I use 1Password for form filling also.. but before 1password I used an extension called "Autofill Forms" and then "fireform" I don't remember which I liked the best. There are several Form filling addons though. I can't say enough about 1Password though.. amazing app
    I love RoboForm and I hate to be without it. I love the way it pops up at a web page with a password making it very simple to use.

  6. #6

    Bluegrass's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    166
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
    I also was a Roboform user and have found 1Password a great replacement.

  7. #7

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I also was a Roboform user and have found 1Password a great replacement.
    According to the people at RoboForm they will be releasing an IPhone version then the OSX version in the near future.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2007
    Posts
    18
    I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.
    "Der Herrgott nimmt, der Herrgott gibt,
    Doch gibt er nur dem, den er auch liebt?"

  9. #9

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKyu View Post
    I have 1Password, but haven't really used it much, since the built-in password management in Firefox is so good.
    I guess I will use the Firefox manager and the form filler from Google until I either buy something new or RoboForm comes out with their OSX version.

  10. #10

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

    It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

    It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.

  11. #11

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    I like the fact that 1Password protects my passwords with an additional "master key".

    It prevents access all of your stored passwords unless you unlock them with your master password. You can then tell it to enable all passwords for x hours before it prompts for the master password again.

    It's just an extra layer of protection that I appreciate since I use my macbook in public a lot and wouldn't want to have access to all my auto-logins if it's stolen or lost.
    When I first became paranoid I used a biometric fingerprint reader for all my passwords and loved it. But it became troublesome when I switched to XP and the driver and software didn't have a free upgrade. They raised the price to where it wasn't worth it. I wonder if there is a good alternative for OSX.

  12. #12

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid

    Plus I would need something that is easily portable...

  13. #13

    joelw135's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    Hmm, interesting idea, but I'm not that paranoid

    Plus I would need something that is easily portable...
    I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.

  14. #14

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
    I consider myself to be a safe computer user, and since I do banking on line, I guard my passwords well. Maybe that does make me a little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend!!

    It's definitely a good idea to take as many precautions as you can - especially when access to bank account data is involved!

    But for everyday website passwords the fingerprint scanner would probably be more hassle than I'd be willing to transport. I'm afraid I don't know of any alternative drivers though...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Password Manager
    By fak119 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 09:07 AM
  2. Password Manager
    By Sputnik77 in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM
  3. Password Manager Recommendations?
    By AlexC in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM
  4. Password Manager
    By saxnbass in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
  5. Password manager like Roboforms
    By urbnazn in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •