New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Built-in FTP client for the Mac OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

catlikethief

I've heard about it, but I haven't been able to find it?
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

There is a built in FTP client in the shell if you know command line. Otherwise I have never seen a GUI FTP client built in to OS X.

I use Captain FTP. It is the best GUI FTP client I could find for the mac. Basically because it has w directory listings at once, the local and the remote. Every other FTP client out there only show the remote directory listing, and then you have to go through dialog box to select files to transfer. I feel this totally counter productive, and I hate to say it, but almost EVERY windows FTP client out there works this way. It might be me still doing things the "windows way", but I feel that Captain FTP is the best FTP client I have seen.

If anybody knows of any other FTP clients that support displaying local AND remote directories and allowing you to drag and drop, please let me know.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I guess I have never really needed both windows.. I use Fetch and I know it's not the best.. it used to be, but they havent updated the program in years it seems so they are falling behind.. I have always used drag and drop and that works great for me, but I can understand the desire for two windows.. just another way of transferring files and then you have a choice of how you want to transfer.
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief

hm. thanks kids. =) the only things that get at me are the trials. >.<
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlikethief
hm. thanks kids. =) the only things that get at me are the trials. >.<
if you dont feel threatened by the command line you can use ftp on the command line. :-D and its FREE!!! :-D
QUOTE Thanks
Fluid

Fluid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB

Transmit is by far my favorite FTP client because you can preview images, edit code while in transmit, and view both local and remote files.

Get it at:
http://panic.com

Fluid@Mac-Forums.com
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Yeah it's nice, but it doesnt do server to server transfer.. which is a nice thing Everything else it does do!
QUOTE Thanks
nko

Is there a GUI FTP client for the mac that's free? As in, not just free to try? I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of software available on the mac as free to try.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new...=2&firstPage=1 Close to the bottom is the freeware stuff.. and then page 3 also
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
if you dont feel threatened by the command line you can use ftp on the command line. :-D and its FREE!!! :-D
I found that if I type in the direct link to the ftp (ftp://...) into Safari it can be at times very unstable. Furthermore it causes Finder to crash. Is this usual for 10.2? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I've had bad luck with the Safari/FTP-on-Desktop method too.

http://www.macorchard.com/ftp.html has a huge list of FTP clients, and makes it easy to compare.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I use CuteFTP for both my PC and Mac and couldn't be happier. I've tried a few of the free ones (read: not trial but free) and simply didn't like the extra steps involved. With CuteFTP you can specify certain folders or individual files and just choose from the list or use finder and find what you want to transfer. It does cost money (they do have a 30 day free trial) but its well worth the money, IMHO.

When I was in my 30 day free trial for CuteFTP on the Mac I got an e-mail from their customer support dept offering a $10 discount if I purchased prior to the end of the 30 day trial which was even better.

rberry88

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

I use Rbrowserlite, it shows local and remote. I will try the others you guys mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Interesting that FTP is unstable in Safari too. I've tried it a few times on Internet Explorer on the PC, and IE simply freezes 80% of the time, requiring a three-fingered "End Task" jobbie.

FTP from the command line is simple enough. Get to where your files are (utilising 'cd soandso' for changing directories (aka folders, containers, whatever) and 'ls' for getting a directory listing) and type ftp ftp.something.soandso.com. Username is usually anonymous, password just put any old e-mail address.

Again, use 'ls' for a directory listing and 'cd soandso' to get into a directory, 'cd ..' to go into its parent etc. 'get suchandsuch.exe' would retrieve a file into wherever you were when you started ftp and 'put suchandsuch.jpg' would upload a file from whever you were.

That's about all you need to know..
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

In your finder choose Go > Connect to server then in the window enter the full FTP address

e.g:

ftp://home.domain.com/public_folder/

then hit return. Afterwards it'll ask for your username and password, as always, it'll give you the option to adding it to your key chains. It'll appear on your Desktop as a Server, similar to iDisk.

Currently it's not perfect but does the job. Accessing other folders proves to be a pain... the finder sometimes stops responding.

Personally, i use Fetch for setting permissions and viewing server dot files (.htaccess). Dreamweaver MX for site synchronization because it's good with dynamic links, still it's missing tons of server-side editing tools. Guess that's why people use BBedit too!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Do I stop applications at Start Up | <home> <end> ? »