New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

learning new operating system

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlazuka

Hello,
I have been considering switching to a Mac for awhile now. The only thing thats stopping me right now is my concern for learning the new operating system. After four years I feel like Im just getting to understand XP. I have no experience with Mac with exception to me playing around with them at the Apple store. Can anybody share their experiences about switching and how long it took to feel comfortable with the new operating system? Was it difficult? Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Malakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlazuka
Hello,
I have been considering switching to a Mac for awhile now. The only thing thats stopping me right now is my concern for learning the new operating system. After four years I feel like Im just getting to understand XP. I have no experience with Mac with exception to me playing around with them at the Apple store. Can anybody share their experiences about switching and how long it took to feel comfortable with the new operating system? Was it difficult? Thanks for any help.
I switched about a week ago after the constant frustration with windows and although Its only been a week I am amazed at how great my G5 is.
I did have someone show me the basics but it really isnt that much different to navigate then windows. I am sure it wont take you long to find your way around. This was also one of the reasons I waited to switch. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I am in the same boat as you. My Mac experience begins and ends at the Apple Store. I hope to be placing an order for a Mac Mini very soon. I'm still trying to decide which one to get, and in which configuration. If I really like the system, I'll definetly purchase the system that replaces the G5 in a year or so....whenever it comes to life.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

They're very easy to get used to, it won't take you long to understand the basics and if you hang around these forums I'm sure you'll pick up some more advanced stuff in no time. OS X is so easy to understand, you'll probably understand it better than Windows.

QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

You'll become pretty adept within two days. Just play wih it a lot and read forums.

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

mate just got for and dont be scared, i was playin with on in PCWorld and found most of the stuff that id want to get at after about 15mins.

They seam easy as pie to use
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlazuka
Hello,
If you have any experience with windows 95/98/me/2k/xp, then you will have no problems at all with OS X. You can't hardly tell the difference between them, except you can do things with OS X that you can't do in winders. I would say that within a few days, week at the most, you will be doing everything you can do now, and probably even more. OS X is a very stable operating system without many of the winders problems.

Installing programs is as simple as click or drag, and unstalling is as simple as drag it to the trash. Easy to work with, yet quite powerful. It reminds me quite a bit of linux, but without the problems of linux.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

the os is extremely easy to get used to and work with....

my experience:
i felt dumb at first and thought i was screwing everything up because everything just seemed so easy...turns out i was doing everything correct and it really was that easy....

then i came to this place and my knowlege of my PB increased dramatically....

just ask questions when they come about and we will be sure to all help you out (although macman always beats everybody to the thread and answers before us all)

you will not regret going mac
-chris
QUOTE Thanks
mlazuka

thanks for the help everybody. Im trying to find someone who has the new Mac OS so I can spend more time on it before I commit to a Mac, they are expensive and I want to be sure that Im making the right choice. I was using my brothers girlfriends Mac but its running the older OS, I think its OS9, I wasnt too impressed with it. So we'll see I guess, thanks for the again everybody
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Get a good book.

Maybe this one
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I think a book on OS X would be a waste of money unless you are really interested.

mlazuka - OS X is very different to OS 9. Very very different.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I was in the same boat, took a while to learn every part of Windows XP. Got my Powerbook, and sat down with it for an hour or two. Clicked around, installed programs, I was very impressed. It is so easy, every thing from setting up the network, VPN, the dock, the displays, security, firevault, bluetooth, file sharing, and the acounts, although i only have one account on my system.It is truely one of the best operating systems i have ever used, and so eay to pick up. Grant it, I am still learning some of the aspects of os-x panther, but i am getting really good at it, anybody who was using windows xp and feeling confident with it can switch to a mack and be utterly amazed at is simplicity and its power!

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

I bought The Missing Manual for Panther by David Pogue.
Most of the OS is easy to learn but there are a few hidden options that one needs help finding.
Mind you, I like books. :-)

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
proudlywelsh83

If you are looking to convert to Mac might be worth taking a look at Pear PC. Basically it allows you to run a Mac OS on your PC, this way you can play with it to your hearts content, beware it will run slower so you wont be getting the full advantage of the Mac, but it will persuade you to make the switch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PDA - Outlook - Active Synce | Yey I'm a Convert »