New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Transfering music- viruses?

Thread Closed

lmvo23

lmvo23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

I'm getting a 20" iMac 2.66 Ghz in the next couple of weeks. Tonight I started organizing my files to be transfered and my boyfriend (who has been an apple user his entire life) mentioned something that got me thinking. Is it possible for my downloaded music files to have a virus that doesn't affect PC's but may affect a Mac?
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

More than likely, no. Most viruses are designed for PC but it would be possible to get a virus if it was ment for OSX. It's about a 1% chance you're going to get a virus from transferring your music.
lmvo23

That's what we figured. BUT I do have 16gb of music...which slightly increases my chances.

I may just delete all of it and start fresh.
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Spork actually exaggerated the number, there is a ZERO chance of you getting a virus when you transfer music from your PC to your Mac unless you actively went out there and purposefully downloaded a Mac virus and inserted it into your music directory.

I transferred music library much larger than yours from my PC to my Mac with no ill effects. No need to waste your time starting over.

June 2007
July 2009
Aeaus

Aeaus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive

Are you slow?
There's no way to put a virus in a .mp3 or .m4a file...
It's freaking sound.
fungry

fungry is on a distinguished road

Aeaus is correct. Your files are audio files. In other words, they would not contain any viruses -_-. Unless you have executable files within the folders which is beyond me because why would that be in a music library.
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaus View Post
Are you slow?
It's freaking sound.
Haha. That is correct.

Viruses are usually found in exe files and such others.
lmvo23

Quote:
Are you slow?
It's freaking sound.

It was an honest question. No need to be a jerk about it.

To everyone else:
Thanks for your input.
Aeaus

Aeaus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvo23 View Post
It was an honest question. No need to be a jerk about it.

To everyone else:
Thanks for your input.
Well not to be rude, but I never knew someone could be so computer illiterate.
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

People have been known to rename xxx.exe files to xxx.mp3.exe and hope that you have the show files extension turned off in windows so it would show as xxx.mp3
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

And, you can imbed executables in image files, so it is theoretically possible to do the same in audio files. Just for now, no one has done that (as far as we know).
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Man, she had a question. It got answered, you didn't have to be a jerk about it. This is the switcher forum, so she obviously isn't a computer genius, she may even be a really casual user. (Like my mom. She can't even copy and paste.) Really, if you're not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Didn't your mommy teach you?

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Well not to be rude, but I never knew someone could be so computer illiterate.
LOL! Well then, you've shown your ignorance at least twice in this thread then. At least that is fixable if you are open to learning. Being rude, as you were, can be more difficult to over come. Good luck with that challenge.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
And, you can imbed executables in image files, so it is theoretically possible to do the same in audio files. Just for now, no one has done that (as far as we know).
Exactly!

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I wouldn't think you'd get a virus. Very very unlikely. From what I've heard, there are something like 10 known viruses for Mac.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Thread Closed

« Question of MacBook Air users. | MBP 2.4Ghz- or 2.53GHz-version? »