New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrading Logic Board/Motherboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kenit

kenit is on a distinguished road

I have a black macbook 2.16 GHz just over a year old and want to upgrade up Logic board/motherboard to 2.4 GHz and i was wondering if it is even possible and will i need to upgrade anything else like the fan etc.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Upgrading the motherboard and the processor on a Macbook is extremely difficult if even possible. The amount if will cost you to buy a new processor/motherboard etc.. you might as well just buy a new Macbook and help out the economy!

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You won't see any difference between the two CPUs. Even if it was easy to do, it would be pointless.
QUOTE Thanks
kenit

kenit is on a distinguished road

i have found one on ebay for £380 and know how to fit it, but if i upgraded why will i not see any differences in it's speed?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You might knock off 10 minutes off an hour's video encoding.

In everyday use, there's little difference between any of the Core 2 processors to be honest. A 1.8Ghz Core 2 won't feel much different than the 3.0Ghz version. The Core 2 range is pretty fast throughout.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Saver or put display to sleep? | One year after the switch »