New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

another hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kpknox

kpknox is on a distinguished road

I am also still a newbie with my macbook--although I have had it long enough to build a 30 gig photo library on my HD which seems to be part of my problem. My original 107 GB HD has dwindled down to 3 GB--I run Aperture for the photos. I work in video production but the videos are on external hd. I want to upgrade to leopard but don't have the space to do so right now--I don't have the space to do anything. My itunes is large as well. I have considered upgrading the original HD itself? Or--how do I transfer some of these larger files to an external hd and free up space on the internal hd? Can something like Aperture or Final Cut run from an external hd? How did I get to 3 GB? I've tried to get rid of as much unnecessary stuff as possible but seem to hardly make a dent.

Extremely grateful for any assistance--
kpknox (kate)
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Aperture runs just fine from an external drive, there's even a how to somewhere on Apples site on doing so, I believe Final Cut does as well. How did you get to 3gb? Don't know for sure since I can't look at your drive, but photos (especially in raw modes) and video take up a ton of space.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

if you have an IPOD Classic or extra ipod with over 30gigs, you can load some apps/files on that and use it as IPOD/External HDD. less stuff to carry with you.

I have a 30gig iPod Video that i have my entire music collection on, and photoshop, limewire, and few other apps and backup programs on a separate partition (to keep it secure from the music)

works great, no problems at all
QUOTE Thanks
shadyboi

shadyboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig

just upgrade the original hd inside your mb..and then load everything back again but try to be more organized and tidy..
worked well for me
now i have a 320gig hd replaced the 120gig one came originally with my mbp.
sooooo much happier

Just be nice and helpful...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First backup questions | tapping in windows partition »