Been thinking of getting my first mac (MBP)
    I have been thinking of getting my first mac (a macbook pro) and was waiting for the new macbooks to be released before getting one. I will be using it mostly for recording music.
    It seems that people are less than impressed with the new models, so I am not sure anymore. Look and size (as long as it's laptop) don't matter to me much, but other factors do.

Is there anywhere that compares the old version with the new version, side by side, so I can see what has changed (including price)?

I also heard a lot of complaints about the screen, I don't really know the difference between matte and glossy, so I am not sure if it will effect me much.
    My current laptop has one of these options:

14.1-inch TFT XGA with (1024x768) resolution (16M colors)
    14.1-inch TFT SXGA+ with (1400x1050) resolution (16M colors)

Does anyone know if they are glossy or matte?

MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
    I could be wrong, but Matte is a screen that you'd typically find on a flatscreen TV or a Plasma - no glare.

Glossy would be something like glass, very reflective and has a lot of glare.

Your 14.1-inch TFT XGA is what you are referring to as Matte. Not sure I would call it that since matte is more of a dusted finish with paint apposed to gloss.

Central Florida
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Before you let others tell you what the screen is like, if you can go and look for yourself. I had the chance to mess around with a MBP yesterday, and I must say that the glossy screen had much less reflection and glare than I had originally thought it would. The brightness of the screen makes up for it well.

My original purchase of a MBP (the one I have now) was for music production. You are going to be more worried about RAM and HDD space than anything else. Processor is also important, depending upon the number of plugins you are running in your audio software.
    masakatsu agatsu

Thanks for the responses so far.
    The screen does not really matter too much, I was mostly curious. I think I can take a look it at for myself sometime soon.

I am more interested in seeing if there is a comparison anywhere between the new MBPs and the old ones. I guess another option for me would be to compare between macbook and macbook pro.

England, UK
    15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
    The best thing to do is go to a Apple store and look at the products yourself to see what the screen is like but has far has the new Macbook Pros go - They have a better graphics card, better RAM (DDR3 instead of DDR2), better build quality due to the new manufacturing process (Unibody case (brick)) and are overall more sleek like the Macbook Air
    15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black

Thread Information