Thread: Mail

Mail
    Ok, simple question... is there anything different about setting up your email accounts in Mail, then in Outlook?? I am VERY familiar with SMTP/POP3, etc. and setting up my mail accounts in Outlook, however, when I use the same settings in Mail... I cannot send email... something with the server setting...

MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
    Green iPod Nano / 4GB
    iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Check with your mail provider and make sure that you have the SMTP settings correct.

I also had a lot of trouble initially setting up my cable addresses. Time Warner was of no help whatsoever and finally a very nice "supervisor" at Apple helped me out. While the iMac is ok now, I still can't set them up on our MB! I'm finally getting it figured out using gmail as you can forward your addresses to them, while specifying the return address as your ISP addy. If that makes any sense at all! But, yes, first ck with your provider, hope they're better than mine. Good luck!

Msn:
    How do i get a profile picture on msn? When i press "ok" after i have picked the picture i want to have, nothing happens..

Specs:
    15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by didjaever View Post
    Ok, simple question... is there anything different about setting up your email accounts in Mail, then in Outlook?? I am VERY familiar with SMTP/POP3, etc. and setting up my mail accounts in Outlook, however, when I use the same settings in Mail... I cannot send email... something with the server setting...
    Whats the message you get when trying to send mail?
    15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Who's your email provider?

Hotmail for instance don't offer real POP access for free, even though Outlook will download messages.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
    My mom had some of these same isssues with her new iMac, she has a account with verizon. There was something funky with the SMTP Password, it was really odd. We called Apple and they helped us figure it all out. As for me, I use the AIM email account that came with my screenname on there as my primary email and it worked through mail perfectly. Try giving Apple a call and see what they have to say. I hope this works out for you!
    MacBook|2.4GHz|250GB/iPod G4|20 GB

Thanks for your replies!!

GoDaddy hosts the email account... I am going to call them, then Apple...I might as well use the Apple Care I paid for...

MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
    Green iPod Nano / 4GB
    iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb

Specs:
    Black MacBook: 2.4GHz, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM iPod:6th Gen, Silver 80GB:Canon Powershot SD1100 IS
    synch read mail with gmail
    so mail is currently synched with gmailand I have no problem sending or receiving through mail but it does not sync with my read gmail emails.
    in other words I read 6 or whatever new emails in gmail but when I go to mail they still appear as new..or unread..

how can i resolve this as I currently have 324,344 'new' emails in mail

thanks in advance and hope the situation is clear!

cheers

James

From what I understand there is a setting to use IMAP in Google Labs to avoid the duplicate issue, however it seems clear as mud. You can also check the Gmail groups.

I STILL haven't figured out exactly how to avoid all the duplicate emails. All I want to do is set up email on our MB the same as the iMac. It just shouldn't be this complicated!

jennymac,

If you're trying to access the same mail from two computers, using IMAP is your best bet.

Configure GMail for IMAP

Setup Tiger or Leopard mail to access GMail via IMAP.

Hey, thanks. I did have it set up ok, however I ended up with mega duplicates, (along with a ton of spam) so I deleted it. They have something new in G Labs that might help. I'll give it another try using that feature, I guess. I'm not crazy about the label thing.

It would be beyond cool to have it set up just like on my iMac (a clone, I guess), but I sure can't find anything. Except maybe MobileMe which has been getting some bad reviews. I'm sure that's why Apple doesn't have any other way of doing it - MobileMe makes the company money. Although I could try the 2 month free trial, I suppose, if the gmail is still a hassle.

It just seems like there should be some sort of email synch program available, but oh well. I looked at quite a few programs, but they didn't seem to do much with mail - most of them are for backups/data.

Thanks, Jennifer

Thread Information