New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Not sure when to get the new Macbook. Any ideas?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different.

I have a computer that works, a Windows XP Dell, that is about 5 years old but I want to get back on the OS X train and finally retire this old boy. I haven't used OS X since my Macbook was stolen in April and it shows. A lot of the tasks I used to know how to do on a Mac I'm getting more rusty at. Windows is eating up my Macside. I'm not sure when to get one at this rate. I know I will be getting a Macbook after Snow Leopard is standard on them ($$chaching$$) but price and processing speed are big determining factors for me. What should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

 
shfle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 23, 2007
Location: Grimethorpe, South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 305
shfle will become famous soon enough

shfle is offline
Couldn't you have claimed on your home insurance when it was stolen? Not sure how it works over there but in UK you would almost definitely be covered.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,486
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
If you wait "until"..... You'll always be waiting. If you have the hots for a MacBook now, buy it now. But this time be sure to also buy this:

Laptop, Desktop, Tablet PC and PDA/Smartphone insurance from Safeware Insurance Agency, Inc.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
I can't claim on home insurance, I'm a student and in a foreign country. I can get it insured but I'd have to do it when I'm home and when I buy the Macbook, since I'm only on a study permit in Canada.

I don't want to get one now because I don't need it now. My computer is lacking in memory and processing power but I'll need a new laptop sometime next year. I'm just not sure if I should wait till September to buy it for school or wait till next October/November when the second refresh comes. That's what I'm trying to decide in a nutshell. I won't be waiting any longer than next November. Either way I will be getting it next year.
QUOTE Thanks
didjaever

 
didjaever's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 05, 2008
Posts: 151
didjaever is on a distinguished road

didjaever is offline
I am confused... If you are waiting until next September, then why not just decide next September what to buy or if you want to wait a month or two?? I spent 6-month's loooonnnnnggg month's trying to decide if I should switch my windows to mac... it was the best decision I have made in a long time...


MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
Green iPod Nano / 4GB
iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
If your plan is to get a Mac with Snow Leopard pre-installed anyway, just wait it out. I'd avoid this batch of MacBooks anyway simply because history has taught us that Rev A Apple products are usually the furthest thing from reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
Yeah, that's true. From what I heard the first and second refreshes fix a lot of errors that may have gone unrealized in the first batch. I can wait, it's just getting harder and harder. 12 months is a long time!! I gotta be strong.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

 
Member Since: Jun 08, 2008
Posts: 213
Mark W is on a distinguished road

Mark W is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different.

I have a computer that works, a Windows XP Dell, that is about 5 years old but I want to get back on the OS X train and finally retire this old boy. I haven't used OS X since my Macbook was stolen in April and it shows. A lot of the tasks I used to know how to do on a Mac I'm getting more rusty at. Windows is eating up my Macside. I'm not sure when to get one at this rate. I know I will be getting a Macbook after Snow Leopard is standard on them ($$chaching$$) but price and processing speed are big determining factors for me. What should I do?
When 4GB is standard, 64-bit will be standard, computers will be able to take loads of RAM and applications will require more.
The best will never be standard. Whatever is standard will always be that times "standard".

I agree with chscag - it sounds like you'll always be waiting.

Go for it

 2009 17" Macbook Pro w/ 27" Cinema Display  2010 13" Macbook Air  64GB iPad  32GB iPhone 4  Original Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different....
I think it's going to be awhile when 4GB becomes standard. Even then I wouldn't get 4GB from Apple. ^-^"
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
When 4GB is standard, 64-bit will be standard, computers will be able to take loads of RAM and applications will require more.
The best will never be standard. Whatever is standard will always be that times "standard".

I agree with chscag - it sounds like you'll always be waiting.

Go for it
Yeah, 4GB standard may be sooner than we think. Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OSX to be in 64 bit standard. 4GB RAM standard may be in the second refresh by next October/November or by the 3rd refresh no doubt. 4GB standard isn't what I need, I just want 4 GB to be a lot cheaper than it is now, probably only $50 more than 2GB. It's currently at $150 more than 2GB so it'll be standard in a year's time. Can't wait.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
Yeah, 4GB standard may be sooner than we think. Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OSX to be in 64 bit standard. 4GB RAM standard may be in the second refresh by next October/November or by the 3rd refresh no doubt. 4GB standard isn't what I need, I just want 4 GB to be a lot cheaper than it is now, probably only $50 more than 2GB. It's currently at $150 more than 2GB so it'll be standard in a year's time. Can't wait.
I don't have a problem spending that much on RAM. I just don't want to be stuck with the stock memory that Apple uses. They use a lot of different 3rd party ranging from Micron to Samsung. Not that these are bad or anything but I rather have low latency RAM that drains the batteries a lot less.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

 
bad.heron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 15, 2008
Location: England, UK
Posts: 285
bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

bad.heron is offline
Next September/October is along time to wait but if you don't need it now you should wait. Apple generally follow the same pattern in releasing new/upgraded products.

I believe buying next October would be the best decision for you.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.heron View Post
Next September/October is along time to wait but if you don't need it now you should wait. Apple generally follow the same pattern in releasing new/upgraded products.

I believe buying next October would be the best decision for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I don't have a problem spending that much on RAM. I just don't want to be stuck with the stock memory that Apple uses. They use a lot of different 3rd party ranging from Micron to Samsung. Not that these are bad or anything but I rather have low latency RAM that drains the batteries a lot less.
Hmm, there's an idea. Who would you recommend for low latency Macbook RAM? Does it make more of a difference than what Apple uses for RAM? I don't want RAM that eats up my battery life. The thing about Apple is that if you pick a 2GB standard laptop you're going to have to buy a 4GB RAM kit and discard the 2GB of RAM that was already in there. Apple uses 2 x 1GB RAM sticks and not 1 x 2GB stick of RAM. They used to do this about a year and a half ago but stopped. It's rather annoying. I checked Kingston and a 4GB RAM kit is about $250. That's why I'm thinking it would either be better to get a 4GB kit for cheaper (not sure where) or just wait until 4GB is standard.

Another thing that I'd have to take into consideration is that once 4GB RAM is standard there will be more applications that may require 8GB RAM (not right away but probably soon after). It goes on and on. Right now 4GB of RAM is more than enough and I don't really use a ton of graphical applications or games so I'll be fine. What more could Apple do with iLife and iWork that would make it eat up even more RAM? While on that topic, what will iLife and iWork '10 look like? I doubt they'll make a new one next year. Those will probably be the only applications I use a lot when I get a new Macbook next year.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

 
bad.heron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 15, 2008
Location: England, UK
Posts: 285
bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

bad.heron is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
Another thing that I'd have to take into consideration is that once 4GB RAM is standard there will be more applications that may require 8GB RAM (not right away but probably soon after). It goes on and on. Right now 4GB of RAM is more than enough and I don't really use a ton of graphical applications or games so I'll be fine. What more could Apple do with iLife and iWork that would make it eat up even more RAM? While on that topic, what will iLife and iWork '10 look like? I doubt they'll make a new one next year. Those will probably be the only applications I use a lot when I get a new Macbook next year.
That won't be any time soon. You can run Adobe Master Collection on 1GB of RAM (minimum amount). 4GB would be more then enough.

Like chscag said, if you wait "until" you will be waiting forever.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2008
Posts: 314
livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

livinitup1 is offline
Ok then, I'll wait until next October and then see if there is any buzz to when the 2nd Macbook refresh will be. I'll get them when they're released. Once the Macbook is refreshed twice most of the problems, if any, will be ironed out completely. Thanks a lot. I guess 4GB RAM standard doesn't really matter. When it's cheaper then i'll snag it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Making the change... | VLC add subtitles on the fly »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New Firmware Update for MacBook Pro hndcvcboi OS X - Operating System 12 04-03-2008 01:45 PM
Macbook or Macbook Pro GeorgeTink Switcher Hangout 22 01-05-2008 03:22 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?