New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New or Old MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scavenger

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready to get a macbook but I don't know which one to get, the newer one or the older one. I've been going through websites and people say that the old one is better because it has firewire and the new one doesn't. What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Do you need Firewire? If not go for the new MB.

I don't use Firewire, and the new GPU is a pretty good upgrade. I'm going to get the new MB in a few months.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

If you could use the better GPU more than firewire (and have the extra $300) then the new one would be better

if you need/really want firewire, stick to the old one

i think that it really comes down to that
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

the question is what are you going to do with the macbook? if you are like me and just use it for internet, email, and some word processing or spreadsheets, then it doesnt really matter because cost would be the main issue. i would also say that you need to evaluate what type of peripherals you use or are going to use and then go from there.

QUOTE Thanks
didjaever

didjaever is on a distinguished road

The ole one is a great value!!! I have no interest in upgrading because it runs soooo smoothly!! I would consider the money factor...

MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
Green iPod Nano / 4GB
iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MacBooks | first mac »