New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

AOL Desktop is not AOL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clark Kent

Clark Kent is on a distinguished road

Latest of the many problems with my iMac is getting onto America Online. I had to download the Mac version of the program from the aol site, and I was given AOL Desktop. Nothing is the same here except my buddy list. All my favorites are gone and the chat rooms are different. Also, if this is a public computer, when you open the AOL desktop, anyone could see your private screen names and mail without a password. Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have not messed with AOL in a long time on either Windows or OSX. I know the OSX version is way different which is AOL's fault. That could be what you are seeing, but it's been a long time for me and AOL.
QUOTE Thanks
skierbri10

skierbri10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB

Go here for the Classic AOL.... http://download.newaol.com/mac/AOL_for_Mac_OS_X.dmg
QUOTE Thanks
jacobsp10

jacobsp10 is on a distinguished road

I've just spent about 5 frustrating hours trying to help a friend with an "AOL Problem."
My friend prefers having AOL features in one place:

The AOL desktop has a FAVORITES bar, but does not have a "recently deleted" feature for emails.

When you use the classic AOL version, it does have the "recently deleted" box, but we have not been able to show favorites.

(The PC version is NOT a problem; it has both!)

Are we over-looking the obvious? Is there a way to import and show the favorites without a one-by-one copy and paste between the two programs?

Your help is most appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm pretty sure AOL hasn't updated that software in a very long time.

I'm not sure there's much we can do to help get that working, but there are many alternatives that are much better options if they'd like to come into the modern internet era.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I just so sorry for you still being with AOL. You need to do yourself a big favour and move to a decent ISP. Just my two penn'th worth. (2 cents worth for our American cousins!)

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to point out that whatever you may think of AOL -- and I don't think much of it -- it is completely free of charge and has been for years. They're not an ISP anymore.

AOL Desktop is an attempt by AOL to move most of its services into the default Mac apps where they should have been all along. The Address Book on AOL moves into Address Book, the email moves into Mail and so forth. This is probably what is confusing the OP.

Look over the help pages on AOL's own site and it will probably smooth the transition. I frankly don't expect AOL to last too much longer but if you want to stick with it to the end, just remember that AOL Desktop isn't *intended* to be like the old AOL program, it's designed to *integrate* AOL into your "real" internet experience. I think that's the key to understanding it.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

In the UK AOL still exists as one of the lowest rated ISP. However on checking I see that it was bought out by Carphone Warehouse in 2006 but retains the AOL name.

QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I have to point out that whatever you may think of AOL -- and I don't think much of it -- it is completely free of charge and has been for years. They're not an ISP anymore.

I dont know about the states but in the UK there about the most expensive of them all, as well as the worst. My advice would be to dump them asap they really are the lowest of the low
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It doesn't really matter as AOL just purchased the "Huffington Post" for $315 Million which tells me they're now getting into the business of blogging rather than being an ISP. They really were never any good at being an ISP anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Taylor810

Taylor810 is on a distinguished road

I have been afraid to install AOL on my Mac. Does anyone know if it installs files all over. It use to be almost impossible to delete all the different files it use to spread on my old PC.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor810 View Post
I have been afraid to install AOL on my Mac. Does anyone know if it installs files all over. It use to be almost impossible to delete all the different files it use to spread on my old PC.
Why do you even want to install AOL? I'm sure we can help you find alternatives.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor810 View Post
Then save yourself the trouble unless you enjoy dealing with Indian call centres who haven't a clue. Changing away from AOL was one of the best things I've done short of moving to mac. I'm sure getting married should be up there as well so don't ask me to rank them!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for input on what to specs to have | New imac user »