New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Print driver problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cceverett

cceverett is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I am trying to install drivers for a Dell 3000cn. I have downloaded the "hpijs-2.7.10-UB" driver along with the "gplgs-8.61-ub" ghost script. When I go to unpack and install the first one, it goes through the pre set up and asks where to install it and asks for my password. Then when it starts to install it just makes a loud repetitive "thump, thump, thump" noise. It locks up and you can not stop it from making that sound. The only way is to unplug the iMac.

Any ideas if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Chad
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

What goes "thump, thump"? If it's the dvd drive, which I assume is what you're using, then there is a problem with the drive, or the disk. If however your installing from downloaded software, and it is your hard drive - which would more likely be going 'scratch, scratch' - then it needs checking and repair. Tell us more about your iMac too.

Are you sure that Dell is compatible with Mac, or have you transferred it from a Win environment? See this: Dell 3000cn - ehMac.ca
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

cceverett is on a distinguished road

I It is not a hardware sound. It is a software sound. I was looking though the sounds under System Preferences/Sound/Sound Effects, and I believe that it is called "Funk" It makes that sound over and over. There is nothing in the DVD drive. The drivers were downloaded off the internet. From the Linux Foundation site "http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs". It does the same thing on my MacBookPro.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cceverett View Post
I It is not a hardware sound. It is a software sound. I was looking though the sounds under System Preferences/Sound/Sound Effects, and I believe that it is called "Funk" It makes that sound over and over.
That is probably the Alert sound, telling you "no can do", which suggests to me that there is an I/O error from the software installation.

Quote:
It does the same thing on my MacBookPro.
Which, again, suggests to me that there's something wrong with the driver file, not compatible with the MacOS.

I'm sorry, but that's as much as I can ascertain at this stage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes | I keep recieving unwanted updates »