New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Well now that they're here...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laddie

laddie is on a distinguished road

I posted here a while ago about switching to mac

Im looking to get into video editing (making action sports films). I have been waiting to see about the new macbook rumors b4 I jumped in...

I know that I should get a MBP but I just cant justify spending that much at this point... I know, I know but seriously that is a lot of money and I cant get that much together, I have a sincere kayaking addiction that will always take priority...

So with this in mind, how would the new macbook do, it seems the new graphics card is pretty good. is it that much better than the old MB??? Can you upgrage the prodessor with the new MB???My origional intent was to buy a refurb MB from apple, upgrade the RAM to 4 gig and get going.

So with those points in mind, what would you do?

Thanks guys and gals
QUOTE Thanks
chris1987

chris1987 is on a distinguished road

Apple say its "4 times as powerful" - a 400% increase in power? erm, no. It's better but not "OH MY GOD I MUST BUY THIS MACHINE NOW" better. But if you want a computer to do video editing, MBP will be recommended everytime.

The new macbook will meet your needs without a fuss though! just a little bit slower than the mbp
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The new MacBook does NOT have firewire! If your only option is to transfer your video camera content via firewire, then you are SOL with the new MacBook.

If cost is an issue, you could by the older version of the MacBook which is now available at $999. Or look into a refurb MacBook or MacBook Pro. You can get a refurm MBP for as little as $1,349.00.

Remember that you pay a premium for any laptop, so if cost is a bigger issue than portability, look at getting an iMac.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Messed up with Boot Camp (so lost) | mac slow down »