New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

General hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

QUESTION:

So I'd like to put a 7200RPM Hard Drive on my 400MHz G4 PB. Is there really THAT much of a difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM hard drive?

(Stupid question now

A 7200RPM hard drive won't help speed up browsing the web right? Only RAM will do that, correct?

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

It will speed up anything that is being written or read from the hdd, so if you are using a lot of Swap space or doing a lot of cache writes, then yes it could, but it is not likely.

Just so you know, it will reduce your battery life.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Answer is yes will make a difference. Here is a link and note the 9.5mm thickness as some drives are 12.5mm. One installed in this link is an Hitachi:-

Hitachi-IBM Travelstar 7K60 7200RPM HD for Powerbook - Mac Forums

The only thing to speed up web browsing is a faster DSL connection. With a G4 find 1500MB/s very fast.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Only thing the 7200rpm disk will do is speed up access to the hard disk. internet speed is based upon many things. Like how much traffic the requested site is seeing? The amount of bandwidth you have available to you? How far away you are from the site? And the less of questions go on.

Someone hopefully will come also and give a few tweeks you can do to your system in order to squeeze out a little more speed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Well I mean the laptop goes amazingly fast considering it only has 512MB of RAM right now. I'm just kind of dissatisfied with the overall performance of applications I open up on this. Still, I think this is one of the best laptops ever made.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Get yourself more RAM and then you will have less lag and hang ups when you open applications.
QUOTE Thanks
Phoenix Scanner

Phoenix Scanner is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it helps, but not in some huge dramatic way. But if you care about getting the most out of your machine, spring for a 7200. The hitachis are very nice drives, and don't use hardly any more power. Check out the specs.

Is it worth the extra money? To me, no question. I plan on years of heavy use of my mac, including autocad use on the bootcamp side, where large amounts of data are cached. I had my new hard drive in my macbook within the first week, and never looked back.

It also helps boot time a bit, and with leopard, you can use all the help you can get booting quicker, since it is slower booting than tiger was.

Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac, just got m new Macbook 13" | Any comcast email users here? »