New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Messed up with Boot Camp (so lost)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tkc0mand3r

tkc0mand3r is on a distinguished road

So in order to play warhammer online I used boot camp to install xp on my new iMac. I no longer want to bother with windows and just want to return to my normal iMac. Supposably when you boot the computer you should be able to hold down the option key and it brings up Mac OS, or XP...XP only comes up for me. I have no idea how to switch back to mac and I need help..

Also the only reason I'm fed up and don't want to use the xp anymore is because I can not figure out how to get an internet connection...I have my cable plugged in and an wireless that my mac picks up usually, yet under network connections nothing comes up besdies a 1394 enabled thing?...

Any help would be appreciated so muchh
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Have you been into OS X since installing XP at all? In other words has this just started happening or have you just installed XP and now can't get into OS X?

Have you installed the drivers for Macs on XP?
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
Have you been into OS X since installing XP at all? In other words has this just started happening or have you just installed XP and now can't get into OS X?

Have you installed the drivers for Macs on XP?
Nope I haven't been able to switch back to OS X...Once I installed I cant get back...No I have not installed drivers for Macs on XP..I have the 2 install cd's infront of me though (I'm using my laptop right now to talk on this forum)
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

Install the drivers then you will have internet access via XP.

OK how big is your HDD and how big is your current XP partition?

EDit did you use Bootcamp to set the partitions?
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
Install the drivers then you will have internet access via XP.

OK how big is your HDD and how big is your current XP partition?

EDit did you use Bootcamp to set the partitions?

How do I install the drivers (very new to mac)...I think I may have accidently erased OS X when I paritioned, I was almost positive I hit 32g for windows and left the rest on mac though.....Yes i used bootcamp to set the partitions
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

To install the drivers , in XP just insert the disc and it will start.

While in XP click on My computer right click on your HDD and properties (I think). How big does it say your HDD is? Also How big is the HDD in your machine?
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
To install the drivers , in XP just insert the disc and it will start.

While in XP click on My computer right click on your HDD and properties (I think). How big does it say your HDD is? Also How big is the HDD in your machine?
When I insert the disc it says install a later windows installation thing so i hit ok, then it says missing required 'UPDATE' then it all just cancels out?
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

That is random. OK best thing to do it reinstall OS X. Put in the OS X discs that came with the machine and reboot.

Good luck, I have to sleep now (Japanese time) but if you have questions there are many people here to help.
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
That is random. OK best thing to do it reinstall OS X. Put in the OS X discs that came with the machine and reboot.

Good luck, I have to sleep now (Japanese time) but if you have questions there are many people here to help.
I really appreciate all your help man....Does anyone know why when I put in my OS X install disc one reboot the computer and hold down 'C' the mac sign comes up with a loading symbol and then keeps saying reboot the computer?..I've done it like 3 or 4 times and it just keeps happening..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc0mand3r View Post
I really appreciate all your help man....Does anyone know why when I put in my OS X install disc one reboot the computer and hold down 'C' the mac sign comes up with a loading symbol and then keeps saying reboot the computer?..I've done it like 3 or 4 times and it just keeps happening..
I just read thru this complete thread.... It's apparent you didn't read the instructions for running Boot Camp.

Insert your LEOPARD DISK ONE into the machine while Windows XP is running - not the Windows disk. It should start automatically and will load all the drivers required to run your iMac hardware while in XP. That includes getting on the net, sound, video, iSight, keyboard, etc.

After the drivers load you'll have a Boot Camp option in Control Panel where you can restart the machine in OS X. In any event, unless you accidently wiped out your OS X partition, you should be able to reboot to OS X by holding down the "Option" key and selecting your Macintosh HD while the machine is rebooting.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I just read thru this complete thread.... It's apparent you didn't read the instructions for running Boot Camp.

Insert your LEOPARD DISK ONE into the machine while Windows XP is running - not the Windows disk. It should start automatically and will load all the drivers required to run your iMac hardware while in XP. That includes getting on the net, sound, video, iSight, keyboard, etc.

After the drivers load you'll have a Boot Camp option in Control Panel where you can restart the machine in OS X. In any event, unless you accidently wiped out your OS X partition, you should be able to reboot to OS X by holding down the "Option" key and selecting your Macintosh HD while the machine is rebooting.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.
Yes I did insert my leopard disk one while xp is running. When it starts it says install a new windows installer then says im missing a required 'UPDATE' and cancels out? And yes when I hold down the option key OS X does not show up while booting, just "windows"...if you know anyway I can get the drivers working on the xp let me know pleaseee
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

What version of XP is it?

Home, pro, sp1, sp2, sp3 etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You have to use Windows XP SP2. If you install SP1 or SP0 Windows it will do that with the installer and never really work. If your Windows CD is an older one with SP1 you can Slipstream SP2 and XP onto a new CD and then it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc0mand3r View Post
Yes I did insert my leopard disk one while xp is running. When it starts it says install a new windows installer then says im missing a required 'UPDATE' and cancels out? And yes when I hold down the option key OS X does not show up while booting, just "windows"...if you know anyway I can get the drivers working on the xp let me know pleaseee
OK, it's beginning to sound like you may have installed a version of Windows XP other than the full version with SP2. Please confirm which version of XP you installed. If you installed the correct version you may have inadvertently wiped out your OS X partition in the formatting process.

If you wiped out OS X, you'll have to reinstall using your Leopard DVD Disk that came with your iMac. You should be able to boot from the Leopard DVD by either holding the "Option" key during the boot process or holding down the "C" key. Once you're able to boot from the DVD, you'll be able to erase the disk and reinstall Leopard.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
tkc0mand3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK, it's beginning to sound like you may have installed a version of Windows XP other than the full version with SP2. Please confirm which version of XP you installed. If you installed the correct version you may have inadvertently wiped out your OS X partition in the formatting process.

If you wiped out OS X, you'll have to reinstall using your Leopard DVD Disk that came with your iMac. You should be able to boot from the Leopard DVD by either holding the "Option" key during the boot process or holding down the "C" key. Once you're able to boot from the DVD, you'll be able to erase the disk and reinstall Leopard.

Regards.

I throw in my disc 1 that came with my imac and it checks the disk or whatever than says "install failed, the installer cannot prepare the volume for installation. you may need to prepare your disk using disk utility"...i tried it like 3 times im getting very fustrated i just want to get back to my old imac..somebody please help me understand why its doing this
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone use speech commands? | Well now that they're here... »