New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I need help connecting my macbook to a TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trio

trio is on a distinguished road

I'd like to connect my macbook to my phillips LCD to play downloads from itunes etc. I have got a mini dvi to vga adapter and a vga cable. When I connect the tv to my mac the picture from my desktop screen comes up but nothing else will play. I looked on forums and it said to check in system preferences --> display and when I did this I could see the display screen on the tv but that was it.

ANyone know where I am going wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You're probably using the wrong kind of cable. The mini DVI to VGA adapter cable from your MacBook is OK. You then should connect the adapter cable to a VGA cable which terminates in three RCA connectors: Left Audio, Right Audio, Video. (Red, White, Yellow). Attach the three RCA connectors to your TV input and you'll receive stereo audio and video.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You're probably using the wrong kind of cable. The mini DVI to VGA adapter cable from your MacBook is OK. You then should connect the adapter cable to a VGA cable which terminates in three RCA connectors: Left Audio, Right Audio, Video. (Red, White, Yellow). Attach the three RCA connectors to your TV input and you'll receive stereo audio and video.

Regards.
I cannot begin to describe how horribly wrong this piece of advice is. For starters, the mini-DVI connector on the Macbook only outputs video, not audio. Now I have never seen a VGA cable that terminates in RCA connectors (only VGA to component), but even if there were such a thing, it wouldn't do you any good as the two audio cables would be useless.

Second, it seems as though he has already managed to connect his Macbook to his TV since he can see his wallpaper on the TV. Looks like we have a simple case of the OP being confused about mirroring the notebook's monitor and using it as a secondary screen.

trio, you can see your wallpaper because the TV is set to be used as a second monitor. If you drag something over to one of the sides of your Macbook you'll see it move over to the TV. If you want it so that everything on your Macbook is shown on the TV, then you need to change some settings. Go into System Preferences, click on Displays, and change the setting to Mirror.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Small problems with my New iMac | Moved to a mac but have dvd issues »