New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

internet access how?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LDB

LDB is an unknown at this point

I'm a Mac wannabe at the moment. When I replace my HP notebook I'd like to switch over to a Macbook or maybe a MBP. My question relates to internet connectivity. I know if I'm around a wifi provider I can use that. I currently use a Sprint aircard for other times. My questions are 1. will the Sprint aircard work with whatever Mac notebook I might get?, 2. can I use my iPhone with whatever Mac notebook to do what the Sprint card is currently doing for me? and 2a. if the answer to 2 is yes would that be included in my current monthly fee to ATT that includes unlimited data? Thanks for any and all input.

----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
QUOTE Thanks
curiouslearn

curiouslearn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I don't have an iPhone and therefore have not used it as a tethered modem (which is what you are asking about). However, if it helps, I had read on AT&T website that it CAN be used as a tethered modem, but for that you have to pay more than the regular unlimited data plan. So legally speaking unless you have that additional plan you will not be able to use it as a tethered modem but once you add on the additional plan, you can use it as a tethered modem.
QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

Well when I bought my iMac in January I hooked up a sprint mobile broadband aircard to it using a USB port. I don't have DSL or cable internet access in my area so I use the sprint USB modem which beats dialup by a mile. Sprint will help you set it up on a Mac. I pay 60 bucks monthly to Sprint which is a lot more than if DSL was available but I'm stuck with sprint till DSL becomes available in my area. It works pretty good however.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
LDB

I pay the same $60 a month but I have it for travel. I own a small fleet of trucks and drive one. I can be anywhere in the country and wanted internet in the truck. Not having any Apple experience I wasn't sure if I could just plug the Sprint card into a usb port and go or not. I also thought if I could use my iPhone I could drop the card and save the $60 a month.

----------
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

To the best of my knowledge, the iPhone can not be tethered to a compter for internet access. There was an App that allowed you to do so but Apple pulled it from the store. There may be ways around this but they are outside of what is allowed in this forum.

QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

Hey LDB, well I had also installed that USB sprint modem software on my windows laptop and I can get on line with my windows pc. As long as you are in a sprint area where you can get a signal you will be able to use it. I can just switch that modem from my iMac to my windows laptop to get on line. I hope this info helps some.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
LDB

That does help. Thanks. I figured it should work since it's a usb plugin device but wasn't sure. I figured someone was either using it or had tried it and could say yes it works or no it doesn't.

----------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moved to a mac but have dvd issues | Need Major Mac Help »