New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

this is a dumb question but...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWrestle

iWrestle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 dual, 2 GB RAM, Black Macbook, vista/lepeord installed, 22" LG monitor

I have a black macbook and i have it connected to a LG external monitor via VGA. i can use the computer while it is closed and looks like its sleeping, but... when i go to open it because i want to use it while connected to the monitor, the only things on it that work are the keyboard and mouse. It wont wake up and display on the actual macbook, just the monitor (until i restart the computer) any help please??

kyle
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've had this happen before. Not sure what causes it or how to fix the source of the problem, but to get the monitor working without restarting all you need to do is pull the mini-DVI cable from the Macbook. Once the screen returns, you can plug it back in and things will be back to normal.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

There is no such thing as a stupid question, remember that.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
eMac

eMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4" C2D 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 160GB HD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Nano 8GB

You can also go under system preferences and under display press the "detect displays" button. and the macbook's screen should come back to life.

eMac .
QUOTE Thanks
Simms

Simms is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD

Ok I think I know what your problem is.

I have my MacBook connected to an external monitor too. When I put my Macbook to sleep after startup, and then open the lid back up, the display is only on my external Dell monitor - not the Macbook's (which is exactly what I want). The MacBook's screen is blank - and I think that's what your problem is? You want the MacBook to display as well with your LG monitor?

This is just a case of opening system pref --> displays --> and unchecking "mirror displays".

Personally, I like the idea of turning off my MacBook's display like this, and only using the external monitor. Also, if you use the external monitor like I do, you should consider keeping your MacBook lid open, even though there's nothing displayed on it, because the system expels heat through the keyboard, and it can't do that with the lid closed - so it gets very hot.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multilanguage Reboot error | Unsure of which processor I need to purchase?? »