New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Explain Download Volumes and Mountpoints?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aadimano

aadimano is on a distinguished road

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could explain the download process to me. When I download software, the 'volume' appears on my desktop, I drag the app to the app folder, the volume is still there. Do I need it?

Also, I was wondering about the mountpoint. What exactly is it? Just the place that the app was installed to?

Then, if I install something that doesn't work, how do I un-install it? I tried to install a php version that was supposedly specifically for OSX. It isn't working. I'd like to un-install and try again. How do we do that?

Would appreciate any help on this....

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you have copies an application to your local applications folder, then you can drag the volume to the trash to unmount it

MOuntpoint? I assume you mean that volume that appears. Its the default way to install OS X apps, like a virtual drive. Once you have copied the app to your local drive then they are not needed.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
aadimano

aadimano is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help. I guess my biggest 'worry' was if I have to do some sort of cleaning process before I try to re-install, or if just dragging the app to the trash would get it all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OK...This might be a REALLY dumb question, but... | Weekly/Monthly Need Tos? »