New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lifespan of my Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ragasa4

ragasa4 is on a distinguished road

My macbook has been acting up lately.
I use it practically the whole day (8+ hours), mostly surfing the web, iChat, & iTunes.
I have a lot of videos and pictures
But I don't really do anything with them
They are just there
My Macbook has been a little slow lately
And I'm starting to think it's going to die soon
It will be a year since i've had it in a few weeks (November 10th, 2007)

What is the average life of a Macboook?
I can't get a new computer for a full year if this one dies
Any tips ? Should I just stop using it for such long time spans? PLEASE HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
ragasa4

Please help anyone .
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

the average lifespan of a mac is 5 years. I forget where I read that. If it really has problems consider getting applecare before it becomes one year since you purchased the computer. Anything that fails that is not due to damage n your part should be covered and replaced for free. I have free repairs to my MBP through applecare and can testify to its usefulness.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Define "it's been a little slow lately." If it's just feeling a little sluggish, there are things you can do to make it fast again. Computers get slower over time, that's just how it is, it doesn't mean that your computer is about to die.

I've had my Macbook since December 2006. So Macbooks have at least a 22 month lifespan

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
lovelee

lovelee is on a distinguished road

my friend has had her macbook for over 3 years and it doesnt run slow at all.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I think you are being a little paranoid.
QUOTE Thanks
ragasa4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Define "it's been a little slow lately." If it's just feeling a little sluggish, there are things you can do to make it fast again. Computers get slower over time, that's just how it is, it doesn't mean that your computer is about to die.

I've had my Macbook since December 2006. So Macbooks have at least a 22 month lifespan
It takes triple the amount of time to get started up. The MB goes down every day. I'm not very fond of computers so I don't know if that's a problem.

Today I turned on my Macbook and the green light near the camera was lit up already and the camera would not work.

I don't think i'm being paranoid, thank you very much.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

This macbook is the 1st generation macbook so it's at least 3 years old and besides some cosmetic flaws, it runs like brand new. How much RAM does your macbook have currently? To find that, once your computer boots or just click on the desktop where there aren't folders. click on the apple icon on the top left corner of the screen then "about this mac". Maybe it's time to upgrade your RAM.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
minigurl

minigurl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ

How full is your HD? If you've filled it right up then it's definitely going to run a little slower than before. Have you repaired your permissions lately? I've found that helps mine when it starts running a little slowly.
QUOTE Thanks
ragasa4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
This macbook is the 1st generation macbook so it's at least 3 years old and besides some cosmetic flaws, it runs like brand new. How much RAM does your macbook have currently? To find that, once your computer boots or just click on the desktop where there aren't folders. click on the apple icon on the top left corner of the screen then "about this mac". Maybe it's time to upgrade your RAM.

I'm not very fond of computers so thank you for directing me.

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I hope that helps?
QUOTE Thanks
PearlJamFan

PearlJamFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic

I'm using a 2001 Powerbook Titanium with 500 GHz CPU and 512MB of memory and it still runs absolutely fine. I did replace the original hard drive with a 120GB last month as the original 20GB was getting very noisy and after a reinstall of Tiger it hums along very nicely.

Obviously I don't game or do graphics work so this set up works well for me at the moment.

Maybe if you back up all your data to an external hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X, I bet you'd see an improvement.
QUOTE Thanks
iguy

iguy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: none as of yet

Try deleting crap you don't use, or back-up and re-partition like pearl jam said

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

At this point, I would suggest just saving any data you have and try a clean install of OSX "Leopard" or "Tiger". I think that would be your best bet.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliehass View Post
the average lifespan of a mac is 5 years.
Every power book I have ever owned is still fully working, with the only problems being the replacement of main and PRAM batteries.

15 years and counting for my PowerBook Duo and coming up on 10 years for my G3 Lombard.

I really look after my macs so I'm hoping that I will still be using this MBP for something in 15 years
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It should last at least a decade.

You need to download Onyx and run all the cleaning processes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Backup Intervals | Hi, I'm a PC. »