New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Picked up a G4 second hand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stickamup

stickamup is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 CPU: Power PC G4 (2.8) 400mhz Memory: 640MB HD: 55.81GB

Bought it primarily for video editing and to mess about with garageband and stuff like that.

Didn't realise that there was such a wide range of specs on the G4 and i'm worried i've picked up something that's really underpowered.

Also i think i may have some software issues. Garageband won't load, it says that it needs an instrument library. Would i have that on my system already but but just doesn't know where to find it, or can i get it from anywhere?

If so what am i looking for and where does it tend to be held?

iMove requires a "Quartz extreme" graphics card to use some features. Will this impair the application at all - are they really neccessary or just useful features?

If i have bought something vastly underpowered, what should i be looking to pick up? what sort of specs should i need?

Also what possible upgrades can i make to this in the meantime?
It's currently got:
Mac OS v.10.4.7
Microsoft office 11 (2004) Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint Graph and others
Garageband
iChat
iDVD
Image Capture
iMovie HD
iPhoto
iSynch
iTunes

is that the best stuff i can use or would i be best looking to get some new software?

I hope some of you can help
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The G4 is fine for most applications including GarageBand. For GB to work properly you need to install the full iLife suite, you can install iLife from the Mac OS X Disc 1 disc, it should be in a seperate folder and run the package installer to install all the required files and libraries for it to work.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sounds like you have aG4 that doesn't have an AGP slot, the slot that quartz Extreme cards use.

Do you have nay OS 10.4 discs, if so, as pjhutch says, you may be able to install ilife from that.

Otherwise you will need to find a copy of iLife 06, iLife 08 will exeed the specs on that G4 for most tasks

AS for video editing, while the G4 can handle it, it will be very slow, especially compared to modern macs.

That said, an old G4 running Tiger is a good way of getting your feet wet if you have not owned a mac before

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

which one do you have? there are a few

Apple Power Mac G4 Specs @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I don't know if you've done this already but try downloading some new software updates. You can do this by clicking on Apple > Software Update.

Might improve, or fix some of your problems.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
stickamup

stickamup is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 CPU: Power PC G4 (2.8) 400mhz Memory: 640MB HD: 55.81GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
which one do you have? there are a few

Apple Power Mac G4 Specs @ EveryMac.com
It's a Apple Power Macintosh G4 400 (Gigabit) (M7891LL/A)

but the HD and the RAM have been upgraded

Thanks to you all that have responded, it's all very helpful to me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I still love my Mac (a newbies 1 month report) | WIFI Hotspots, who's looking in my macbook. »