New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iBook - Windows vs Mac help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Denise032

Denise032 is on a distinguished road

Hi folks!

I'm looking to get a new notebook as my current one has unfortunately crapped out on me this week.

I'm more of a Windows woman, but I'm highly considering a Mac this time around. However, I'm not new to Macs by any means. In fact, I'm typing this from a Mac mini right now.

I'm a graphic and web designer, so I constantly have hi-end graphics apps running at once (specifically- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash).

I've done a bit of research and this is the PC I would be getting - Multimedia Laptop Computers - Qosmio G55-Q801

Are there any mac notebooks that can compare to this? I'm looking for speed/high performance/multimedia.

Thanks for your time. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMBP

ChrisMBP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram

Well, you could go with the top of the line 17 - inch Macbook Pro with the optional 300 gb hard drive. It's got a slightly faster 2.6Ghz processor and an extra badass 512mb GeForce graphics card. Only downside is that it comes with only 2gb of RAM (upgradable to 4) and possibly the price but then again Macs have always been more expensive than PC's. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications Check it out for full specs.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you're in the market for a Windows notebook, I would not recommend Toshiba. Very poorly made, difficult to work on and find parts for. Also, I wouldn't store any data I cared about on a Toshiba hard drive (which you'll most definitely get in a Toshiba notebook).

The 17" MacBook Pro is quite a bit more expensive, so I'd imagine you're probably not strongly considering it - but between the two machines, I think you'd be much better off with the MacBook Pro.

If you can step down to a 15" screen, Dell's XPS M1530 is an awesome Windows notebook.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Web design, photo editing?

Macintosh would be the computer for you. Designed with you in mind as a matter of fact. The MacBook Pro (MBP) would be the way to go.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
minigurl

minigurl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ

I've got a few Macs kicking around the house... Sounds like for what you're doing a Macbook Pro would be the way to go... Although I use mine for music recording/production, I never have an issues with processing speed/power and do a little graphic design work myself without any issues. If it's within the budget, I would highly recommend going with the Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise032 View Post
I've done a bit of research and this is the PC I would be getting - Multimedia Laptop Computers - Qosmio G55-Q801

Are there any mac notebooks that can compare to this? I'm looking for speed/high performance/multimedia.
As far as performance, speed, and multimedia, a Macbook Pro would totally destroy that thing. A 17" Macbook Pro would have a faster processor, faster video chipset, and a higher resolution screen in a smaller (and more attractive) package. It would cost a lot more though.
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I think reliability should trump the price difference. I have a friend who is an art student using a pc (rare breed i know) and over time his pc has slowed down due to spyware, viruses and alike. Making it hard for him to run photoshop and video editing programs. Its a tough decision if money is a big issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Are you really a graphic designer? :-)

If so, you should be down the shop buying the industry standard equipment ie. a Mac, right now!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Obviously, this being a Mac forum, opinions are going to be more than a bit biased. However, my personal opinion is that if you can tolerate Windows (I personally can not), you might as well get a Windows machine.

There is nothing you can do with a Mac that you can't do with Windows. So, it all comes down to OS preference. But as I said earlier, if you're going cheap and would consider a Vista machine, steer clear of anything made by Toshiba.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Denise032

wow! thanks for all the responses thus far! i think i will wait it out for the new mac laptop. i've been hearing some really great things about it so far. :-)

cwa107- thanks for the tip about toshiba. a couple of people on other forums have mentioned that to me as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Denise032

so, i think i've decided to go with a MBP. can any1 be so kind as to suggest a good place to purchase from? :-)

TYIA
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Apple.

Buy from Apple. Yes it may cost more, but you can get Applecare for years to come in case something unforseen happens.

P.S. Be greatful you don't get a Toshiba. My cousin got a brand new Toshiba Satellite for her birthday in July....The hard drive has needed to be replaced twice and the motherboard needed to be replaced once.....I told her mom to get a Macbook. Did she listen to me? No of course not.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If money is an issue I would totally get a MBP, having screen real estate is probably the best thing for a designer.

Plus I seem a lot more productive working on my 22" than my 13" Macbook screen.

I like the small size of the MB though, and it's just as powerful as a MBP just without the dedicated GPU which by the way a Web designer doesn't need. Dealing mostly with 72 DPI images.

Buying directly from apple would probably be the best way to go. Plus if you are still in school you get 100 bucks off.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Possible new MacBook on October 14th. I'd wait until then.
QUOTE Thanks
Phoenix Scanner

Phoenix Scanner is on a distinguished road

New PC = Vista.

While I have some measure of respect for XP, Vista is garbage (unless you like having time to eat breakfast while your computer boots up).

Being forced into the world of Vista (all new PCs have it now), is what made me switch.

Yeah, MBP is pricey, too much for me. But if I was in your line of work I wouldn't blink an eye. I have never hesitated to purchase quality tools for my line of work, and you shouldn't either. It is MADE for people like you. Never skimp on the tools that pay your bills.

It should be a business tax write-off for you anyway.

Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Before I spend over 1k on iMac | Just bought my first Mac :) »