New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Downgrading desktops?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Wow it's 6AM and I STILL can't sleep...Sheesh...

Anyways, I'm thinking about downgrading from my eMac to a G3 all in one iMac. I don't want to lug this beast on the ride back to Rhode Island and I don't have a desk big enough for it up there and it's pointless to have this big desktop when I only download and play music on it. My question is this: How heavy and big are the G3 iMacs? are they as deep as the eMacs? I haven't seen a G3 iMac in about 5 years so it's been a while haha...

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Hope this helps:
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

(woot, my first post )
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The G3 iMacs are big and bulky as well.

You need a G4 or above.
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

I have had both and can confirm that the G3 iMac is only marginally smaller and lighter than the eMac.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

THANK YOU SATINO!!! Your first post was the most insightful! The iMac actually weighs 16Lbs lighter than the emac and sits lower to the ground which is imperative to where it's going to be going: An antique 1800s roll top desk that looks like this:
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...sk-kp5401-.jpg

An iMac will fit perfectly.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

I have a 700mhz imac, airport, 512 of ram....would you empty some of your mail so we can PM (you know why !)

emac is definitely 15lbs+ heavier than an imac. I bought an emac for my kid as a fixer project last year and the seller did the worst packing job I've ever seen. It lasted 5 minutes before dying and I'm surprised it lasted 5 minutes the way it was sent.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

xj6 don't use the computer on such as beautiful desk and hang in there with the eMac. The 700MHz G4 eMac is so much faster than an equivalent iMac because of the architecture. It will become the source of another disapppointment.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Yes but the eMac is so freakin big and heavy hahaha...And it's only 700MHz...Maybe I can find an eMac on eBay around my area I can pick up for cheap and just get like $50 for this one. Eh the heck with it I'll keep it...It'd be dumb of me to get rid of it you're right.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick question about BootCamp Icons | sending a video through ichat »