New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Partitioning a drive for time machine


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
lukenn77

 
lukenn77's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 251
lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

lukenn77 is offline
Hi guys,

I just picked up a 320Gb external HDD because it was on sale, and am hoping to use it partly for time machine. Is it possible to partition the drive so that time machine can only use 75% of the drive, and the remaining 25% can be used by both mac and windows computers? If so, could someone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

 
lukenn77's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2008
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 251
lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

lukenn77 is offline
Ok, dont worry. I've done it.

For anyone else wondering.... Disk Utility to make the partitions. When you click 'apply' it will ask you if you want to use one of the partitions for Time Machine, at which point you say 'yes', select the drive and away you go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« A couple of short questions... | Forgive me, Father »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Backing up to a networked drive with Time Machine Wombat123 Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 09-18-2008 04:35 PM
WD external drive and time machine Dale691 Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 08-26-2008 06:05 AM
Making a Good Thing Better mac57 Apple Desktops 40 06-07-2008 06:25 PM
DIY: Trick out your Intel Mini kaidomac Apple Desktops 53 02-17-2007 02:40 AM
Upgrading hard drive...Boot IDE or SCSI? lokerd Apple Desktops 5 10-19-2003 07:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?