New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Torrent software on a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fenderstrat

fenderstrat is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm at the point of switching from a PC to a new imac but I need to know how an imac will work with torrent searches?

There aren't as many torrent software apps as with a PC but if I run a mac one will I get as many results?

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I like Transmission.

I always get torrents from websites like thepiratebay.org and isohunt.com, so same results as with a PC...
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Hated transmissions. Was slow as a slug, as was Tomato. Just use Vuze (which is Azerus) and make sure to turn off all the "extras" crap, and you'll get very good speeds. With Transmissions, I was getting about 150-300 kbps download speeds compared to the 900 kbps-1.2 Mbps speeds I get with Vuze. Though, I don't download anything really, on my mac, I download stuff with my Linux box using Deluge, which kicks all their butts.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

I found Azureus was fast but seemed to slow down the rest of my computer in the process. Never had a problem with Transmission though.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Perhaps that's why I use my Linux box to do the "heavy lifting", if you will...
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Probably not a bad idea, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Simms

Simms is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD

I use Transmission and download from btjunkie.com
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

LimeWire or BitTorrent. The best, have always worked for me, very fast.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

I use Miro for downloading torrents.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I use Transmission.. no problems with speed here..

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Transmission, without a doubt. Azureus was always a slow excuse for bloatware, and I tried Vuze recently concurrently with Transmission on the same torrent just to check if there's been some kind of performance improvement that makes up for the bloat... Transmission got download rates consistently more than five times faster. I'll be sticking with Transmission until µTorrent gets ported to OS X natively, thank you. Faster, smaller and nicer-looking than Azureus/Vuze all at once.
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Be careful with transmission.
If you are living outside of the USA and are on a plan that restricts your downloads then The current version of Transmission is 'double-downloading some torrents.
This only happened in the past few releases and has not been fixed yet so I went to Azurues or Utorrent(for mac).
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

Vuze has worked perfectly with my mac and got great speeds. I have no idea on the "extras" and I'm still getting decent speeds. I usually only download while I'm at work or sleeping so I don't notice the speed to often but it works flawlessly. I've got around 150gigs worth of stuff through Vuze and never once had a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanBoy View Post
Be careful with transmission.
If you are living outside of the USA and are on a plan that restricts your downloads then The current version of Transmission is 'double-downloading some torrents.
This only happened in the past few releases and has not been fixed yet so I went to Azurues or Utorrent(for mac).
I've never heard of that one - please tell me more!
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Apparently you're all raving about Transmission so I guess I'll give it a try, still I recommend BitTorrent!

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Right Click Problems | Restoring a Mac »