New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro: Why So Hot???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitetar

whitetar is on a distinguished road

hi all...

i'm just wondering why my MBP gets so hot on the bottom after an hour of being powered on?

is this normal?

are there things i can be doing to prevent this or that i should be watching out for?
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

Hey I have a macbook pro and comparatively to other machines that I used it does not get hot at all. I can very comfortably leave it on my lap when I use it. I know this isn't much help but at least you have another perspective.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It kind of depends on what you are doing with your MBP. If you are just listening to music and surfing the web it shouldn't get that hot.

However if you are playing a game or doing something CPU intensive then yeah it will get hot pretty fast.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

One guy's switcher blog I read is David Allison and he seemed to have a similar problem. If you click on the link it will take you to a post where he talks about an app called fan control - hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Instead of using fan control, I would recommend smcFanControl... It has a nice menubar interface, and is safer to use than other programs.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
whitetar

whitetar is on a distinguished road

thanks guys!

i don't know much about the standard fan speeds of a MBP.

if i'm going to install something like smcFanControl, is there a guide i can reference where i can be sure i won't put the wrong settings on each fan which could result in damage?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I agree - smcFanControl is the bomb. I run the fans anywhere from 2000-4000 RPM's. I have found 2500 to be perfect for 90%+ of the time. Pretty hard to hurt anything with the program. I am sure some people will claim the fans could wear out faster, but better having worn out fans than having your private parts on fire.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Cos it's metal - and also hence the 'notebook' not 'laptop thing' - if you intend to use it on your lap I recommend wearing trousers at all times!
QUOTE Thanks
DD_Drummer44

DD_Drummer44 is on a distinguished road

Or put your sleeve under the notebook. That's what I'm doing right now (with a macbook, but you get the point).
QUOTE Thanks
Bobeder9

Bobeder9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR

They get hot.......doing nothing other than looking at this forum in safari the enclosure base is 99F CPU is 140F and the GUP Diode is 157F. Pretty toasty......that is how Apple designed it.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

All laptops now run very hot.

That's why they're called notebooks nowadays - they will fry your lap!
QUOTE Thanks
jamesl

jamesl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch

What's the ideal temperature that the MBP should operate at? And what are the temperature limits that we should be aware of? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

There's nothing to be 'aware of' to be honest. It's ideal temperature is the one it's running at.

If anything were to ever go wrong, you'd experience freezes or shutdowns.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Yes, the temp of your laptop is not for you to worry about. It runs no hotter then it should. Get a platform to use it on or a cooling device. They are cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
Krypton217

Krypton217 is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem not too long ago, my Macpro was just too hot SmcFanControl works great but it does affect battery life. It just kept bothering me that I needed a utility to keep it from getting hot. I was also having problems with battery life even without SmcFanControl running so in my searches i read about Run Away Applications shortening battery life Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime this solution fixed my battery life and the temperature of the laptop. Hope it helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Windows with Bootcamp | Help with my new Macbook pro! »