New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Power Mac G5 or iMac G5?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
PaxAmericana
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but felt this was the most relevant forum.

Anyway, here goes... I am a Windows user looking to switch to a Mac. But...I am skeptical of the all-in-one design of the iMac. So I have looked to the affordable single processor G5 Power Mac.

Is there anything to warrant the same price without a screen? I have some screens here to use, but the cost of the machine is still high. I like expansion and the faster DVD burner, but does that truly warrant the extra price? Also, how does the G5 speed compare to that of the dual-processor systems?

I am going to be using this machine mainly for amateur video editing and some photo-work.

I'm pretty sure I won't buy this till after MWSF just so I get the best deal I can.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Well the iMac will suit all your needs and then some. I dont think you will need a DP for amateur video + photo editing if you are doing some heavy graphics work you may need to go for the upgraded graphics card on the powermac other than that
that Imac is great in all departments :p
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

 
edgefusion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 16, 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 407
edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

edgefusion is offline
The Powermacs are for businesses or people in the industry really, the iMac is for home use so you will fine with that. It's all-in-one but extremely powerful.

QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I agree, unless you're a tinkerer and really like to mess about with the components, and there's little of that in modern computers anyway. An iMac should suffice.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
I love my iMac so far it does everything I need it to and more!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
I like the iMac! Best all in one Mac ever IMO :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

 
PowerBookG4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,190
PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

PowerBookG4 is offline
well, I am very much into the video editing world. I use the Powermac, with final cut pro HD, with DV Deck, and vcr. In the post production section of our TV Studio, we have 1 million dollars worth of macs for the video editing, and then for like little stuff, we use powerbooks so that we can use them on the set to get a little idea of what it will look like. Now I have never used an iMac, but i hear they are good. Now the question is, do you want to expand over time to do more advanced video editing. I don't know, that is just how i feel on the whole differnce of the computers

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

 
shaun89's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2004
Posts: 1,072
shaun89 will become famous soon enough

shaun89 is offline
If i were you, i'd go with the G5 PowerMac. Then if something happend like if your screen broke after a while, then you wouldn't have to replace the whole machine. If you really need expandibility then go with the PowerMac. I jsut don't really liek the idea of an AIO.
QUOTE Thanks
i love macs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
If i were you, i'd go with the G5 PowerMac. Then if something happend like if your screen broke after a while, then you wouldn't have to replace the whole machine. If you really need expandibility then go with the PowerMac. I jsut don't really liek the idea of an AIO.

i tht that with the new imac they made it so pretty much every part cld be replaced?? even the screen
QUOTE Thanks
nomore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

If you want pretty much the best performace desktop money can buy, get the Power Mac. It has faster CPU(s), much faster memory bus (and much faster GPU than the iMac G5 offers. Plus it's very expandable if you wish to upgrade it in the future. The build quality of the Power Mac is also better than the iMac.

iMac is great if you don't want to play the latest 3D games and will only use it for the internet, office work etc. and maybe some photo editing and occasional video work.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think the screen could be replaced but it would probely cost you but if you take good care of it there will be no need so go for the iMac. :p
QUOTE Thanks
Danster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore
iMac is great if you don't want to play the latest 3D games and will only use it for the internet, office work etc. and maybe some photo editing and occasional video work.
The eMac is for occasional things like simple video +photo editing, the iMac is in the line of the professionals. I mean it has a G5 processor so what if it can't play the latest half life 2 on full whack if you buy a pc that can that's all the pc will be capable of I have halo on full settings and it's great.

I think you need to have a little more of a closer look as to what the iMac can do.
QUOTE Thanks
nomore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
The eMac is for occasional things like simple video +photo editing, the iMac is in the line of the professionals. I mean it has a G5 processor so what if it can't play the latest half life 2 on full whack if you buy a pc that can that's all the pc will be capable of I have halo on full settings and it's great.

I think you need to have a little more of a closer look as to what the iMac can do.
The FX5200 is not capable of running a game like Half Life 2 at full resolution with all the effect settings on because it doesn't support all the effects... and the frame rate will drop signifcantly.

All the game graphics are handled by the GPU, not the CPU, so the fact that it's a G5 doesn't make much difference for graphics. You could have a 800MHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 which would thrash the 1.8GHz iMac G5 in terms of gaming.

The iMac is designed for home users who do not demand great performance from games. The G5 Power Mac will also be a lot quicker for CPU intensice tasks such as raytracing and video encoding because of the greater memory bandwidth.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore
The FX5200 is not capable of running a game like Half Life 2 at full resolution with all the effect settings on because it doesn't support all the effects... and the frame rate will drop signifcantly.

All the game graphics are handled by the GPU, not the CPU, so the fact that it's a G5 doesn't make much difference for graphics. You could have a 800MHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 which would thrash the 1.8GHz iMac G5 in terms of gaming.

The iMac is designed for home users who do not demand great performance from games. The G5 Power Mac will also be a lot quicker for CPU intensice tasks such as raytracing and video encoding because of the greater memory bandwidth.
Yes i know the fx5200 is bollocks but if you read my post properly i said so what if you can't play half life 2
not will be able to and from what i have heard doom 3 will play on it
not on full settings mind you

also it's designed for both home + professional users stick 2 GB of RAM in it and it will run the some of the most intense video+photo editing and can stand up to the PowerMac G5.

So stop saying it's for web and light photo + video editing
QUOTE Thanks
nomore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
Yes i know the fx5200 is bollocks but if you read my post properly i said so what if you can't play half life 2
not will be able to and from what i have heard doom 3 will play on it
not on full settings mind you

also it's designed for both home + professional users stick 2 GB of RAM in it and it will run the some of the most intense video+photo editing and can stand up to the PowerMac G5.

So stop saying it's for web and light photo + video editing
CALM DOWN!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« My life story...not really, but why I switched | When did you switch? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mac Songs The mac 13 Switcher Hangout 7 05-06-2010 12:35 AM
Is it worth to switch from iMac G4 to iMac G5?? Mainyehc Apple Desktops 12 03-13-2006 06:21 PM
iMac G5 versus Power PC G4 Roger Apple Desktops 2 12-14-2004 02:01 AM
PC Magazine reviews dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 Murlyn Apple Desktops 3 09-19-2003 09:11 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 10:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?