New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Forgive me, Father

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tewatson

tewatson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 2.66, MBP i5 2.4, MB C2D 2.4, iPad2 32GB 3G

For I have sinned...or switched.

New iMac owner here, coming from nearly 20 years of PC-only experience. I've had just about enough of Windows and all the associated baggage, though I'll still be forced to run it occasionally for a few apps. The rest of the family is still on PCs, for now. Thunderbird and Firefox are making the switch less painful for me by providing a familiar look and feel.

One thing I must replace is the Apple mouse...it's driving me insane. Plus, I need to do some research on enabling some keyboard shortcuts (e.g., CTRL-C, CTRL-V, CTRL-arrow, etc.).

Lots to learn.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

A lot of your keyboard shortcuts are the same - but use the Command (Apple) key (the one between alt+space bar) instead of Ctrl - cut and paste are Cmd+C and Cmd+V for example.

I hate the Apple mouse too! Lol. Miss the old ones.

Welcome to the world of Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep, after a while though I've found I hate hitting ctrl instead of cmd on windows and linux systems

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

and ctrl arrow has the function of changing spaces.

links like command tab work as well. So all your key board combinations still work, they just work a little differently now.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

rather than asking for forgiveness we tend to think of it as "coming into the light."
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You've been living a life of sin up till now, so technically, a confession (switching) is just what you need

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Macswitcha is an unknown at this point

switching to a mac was not an act of sin, it was the will of God....

On the real though, I am impressed by mac' s performance.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

if your mouse is constantly activating expose, then go to the keyboard and mouse preferences and de=activate the side buttons and activate the right button to secondary
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
You've been living a life of sin up till now, so technically, a confession (switching) is just what you need
Oops! I stand corrected!!
QUOTE Thanks
tewatson

tewatson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 2.66, MBP i5 2.4, MB C2D 2.4, iPad2 32GB 3G

Things are much better now...dumped the horrible MM and got a Logitech 620 cordless. Tiny 2.4 USB dongle that just barely pokes out past the keyboard edge.

Going to set up Fusion and XP in the next few days.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Try Virtualbox instead of fusion first as it is free.
QUOTE Thanks
QUAD3PRO

QUAD3PRO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1st Generation Mac Pro beefed up to the max at every level.

believe me, just use that mighty mouse for a few weeks. Rough it out and you will find that mouse is the best thing since sliced bread. It just takes some time. There are many settings in system preferences for the mighty mouse. You have your keyboard and mouse icon where you can change many things such as assign whatever button you want to a certain task. Then if you can't seem to get that scroll speed up fast enough in there, at the bottom of system preferences is universal access. click on that and there will be four tabs on top, the mouse tab is the last one, there you will have more options to speed up the mighty mouse. Make sure your mouse keys at the top are turned off. Hope this helps, e-mail me if you need further assistance.

Love my 1st generation Quad Pro!
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMBP

ChrisMBP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanBoy View Post
Try Virtualbox instead of fusion first as it is free.
Sorry for the OT question but how is VB compared to fusion in terms of speed and memory hogging?
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I had to run windows software for a class I was taking and VB is just as good as fusion.... but its free! The one downside is when I was using VB it was still in Beta, there were minor glitches but nothing major.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD3PRO View Post
believe me, just use that mighty mouse for a few weeks. Rough it out and you will find that mouse is the best thing since sliced bread. It just takes some time. There are many settings in system preferences for the mighty mouse. You have your keyboard and mouse icon where you can change many things such as assign whatever button you want to a certain task. Then if you can't seem to get that scroll speed up fast enough in there, at the bottom of system preferences is universal access. click on that and there will be four tabs on top, the mouse tab is the last one, there you will have more options to speed up the mighty mouse. Make sure your mouse keys at the top are turned off. Hope this helps, e-mail me if you need further assistance.
This is almost sounding like disinformation, the mighty mouse is not the only mouse that is highly customizable.

I like Apple stuff, but come on, there are other great companies out there. Logitech is certainly one of the best mouse makers in the world, in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partitioning a drive for time machine | widget with attractive women? »