New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Desktop file dragging between iMac and PC?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

This is something that I can't seem to get a handle on. On my pc, I can go onto my home network in explorer and drag and drop files to any (PC) computer as simple as it gets.

Is there something I'm missing? I just dropped 19 photos into a folder on my desktop, and for the life of me I can't move them to my wife's pc so she can print them. The files are the originals, and are too big to email, and that defeats the purpose anyway... I want the highest quality so I can do the scaling back on the PC.

How do I show other PCs on my home network on my iMac so I can click on them and browse to a shared folder so I can dump these pictures?

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
epsylum

epsylum is on a distinguished road

I am not sure as I am a Mac newbie, but I know file sharing is very possible between a Mac and PC as we used to do it all the time at my old job. The graphic artists would make something on a Mac and would drop it into a network folder and I would open the folder with a PC to edit and print it. I have no clue how it was done though as it was already set up when I started there.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

http://www.mac-connect.com/

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

you can network the mac and pc together, then sharing files is easier. or use a USB thumb drive to swap files between them.
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

The easiest way is to click on the HD icon on the Mac then open the PC on the left and this will show you the available drives for sharing, then drag the photo folder to the drive you want.

Make sure you have the sharing option ticked on the Windows drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network message | External HD: PC & Mac »