New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Well, I got my first Mac. Let's see if it will make me make the switch.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

epsylum

epsylum is on a distinguished road

My main problem with Macs (among others) has always been that they are pricey (nice looking though). Because of that and the fact that the industry standard programs for my line of work are pretty much PC only, I haven't had much experience with them. I know some Mac fans and they are usually borderline obssesed with them, so I figured there has to be something to it. Well I found a guy selling an old original blueberry iMac for $40, I figured now is my shot to test the Mac waters without being out a ton of money. The iMac has had its memory upgraded at some point and is runnning some form of OS X.

I have only had it for a few days, but so far I am impressed. Considering the thing is about as powerful as my first PC (a budget one even at the time as I was 16 and had a PC-saavy buddy help me build it to save even more money), it still works surprisingly well. My first PC would have a hard time running XP, much less Vista (okay, there is no way it would run Vista, which I hate anyway.) It chugs along at some points, but for basic operations (net surfing, music playing, etc.), it seems to work just fine. It is about 10 years old and is still useful, that is almost unheard of in the PC world. I wind up having to upgrade my PC about every 5 years just because they become almost useless by that time. The iMac still starts up about 10 times faster than my current PC (which is approaching the end of its usefulness cycle), even though it is a tiny fraction as powerful. It is going to make a great kitchen computer for not lot of money.

So far my biggest complaint. That horrible, horrible hockey puck iMac mouse. God that thing sucks (they keyboard ain't bad though). Time for me to go find a cheap replacement for it. Maybe even one with two mouse buttons.....
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I hope you like it. I tried switching three times before it stuck. I hated Windows so bad I kept trying. Since the Intel Mac's came out I have bought three of them and there is no way I am going back. The funny thing is I hardly ever use Fusion at all anymore. I am just glad it is there when I absolutely need it.

Other than the MBP's I do not think they are really that spendy all things considered. There are tons of arguments about this so I am not going to go into it anymore. I for one will never go back to Windows as my main machine (or secondary or tertiary machine for that matter). Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsylum View Post
My main problem with Macs (among others) has always been that they are pricey (nice looking though). Because of that and the fact that the industry standard programs for my line of work are pretty much PC only, I haven't had much experience with them. I know some Mac fans and they are usually borderline obssesed with them, so I figured there has to be something to it. Well I found a guy selling an old original blueberry iMac for $40, I figured now is my shot to test the Mac waters without being out a ton of money. The iMac has had its memory upgraded at some point and is runnning some form of OS X.

I have only had it for a few days, but so far I am impressed. Considering the thing is about as powerful as my first PC (a budget one even at the time as I was 16 and had a PC-saavy buddy help me build it to save even more money), it still works surprisingly well. My first PC would have a hard time running XP, much less Vista (okay, there is no way it would run Vista, which I hate anyway.) It chugs along at some points, but for basic operations (net surfing, music playing, etc.), it seems to work just fine. It is about 10 years old and is still useful, that is almost unheard of in the PC world. I wind up having to upgrade my PC about every 5 years just because they become almost useless by that time. The iMac still starts up about 10 times faster than my current PC (which is approaching the end of its usefulness cycle), even though it is a tiny fraction as powerful. It is going to make a great kitchen computer for not lot of money.
If you consider how much money you spent buying cheapo PCs over and over again in those 10 years, Macs start looking like a pretty good deal, eh?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
epsylum

epsylum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If you consider how much money you spent buying cheapo PCs over and over again in those 10 years, Macs start looking like a pretty good deal, eh?
Yup. I have been eyeballing a new iMac or even a Mac Mini already. The top of the line Mini is about the same price I paid for my current PC 3-4 years ago.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AFP and HFS+ | can a MacBook Pro handle music and video »