New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I want to be a Mac.

Thread Closed

the True

the True is on a distinguished road

im not a Mac owner of any kind (yet) i don't have a Mac book or any product that starts with an "i" but one of brothers gave me a quick tour about the Mac os x and Mac book and i can't stop thinkin how stupid i was all those years using some hole filled os with bug infested softwares .. anyhow .. i have a Toshiba laptop and i was wondering if i can make the Mac os x my main os in it, so if you guys can help me i would appreciate it.

thanks.
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

No.

You can't.

Legally, anyway.

There are "Clone" computers, but you need to have a Mac to run OS X.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
the True

then i guess i'll have to do with what i have for now.

and if it's not a bother, i'd like to have your advice about which Mac book i should go for .. im a gamer/photoshop user (not a pro)/multimedia user.
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

How much of a gamer and what kind of games? The MacBook Pro would be more what you're looking for for anything graphics intense really, it has a dedicated graphics card which the MacBook is lacking.
the True

mostly games like Battlefield and Bioshock .. FPSs in general, and i just checked out the MacBook Pro and it's one **** of a gadget but the price is high (not saying that it's not worth it cos it is).

if i wanted to get it, where is the best place to get it from?
EdH

EdH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd

It is possible to install OS X on a non apple machine, and the legality *may* be that you must own a legitimate copy of the os - one that you have purchased specifically for this install. Having said that, I don't know how successful the end result would be... I remember watching a video on CNET where they provided the instructions. If you look around their site you should be able to find the video.

Ed
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
It is possible to install OS X on a non apple machine, and the legality *may* be that you must own a legitimate copy of the os - one that you have purchased specifically for this install. Having said that, I don't know how successful the end result would be... I remember watching a video on CNET where they provided the instructions. If you look around their site you should be able to find the video.
No. The legality is that installing it on a non-Apple machine breaches the EULA, whether you bought a licensed copy or not.
EdH

EdH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd

Thank you. I stand corrected.

Ed
the True

i did find some hacked versions of Mac os x that will allow me to do so but i don't want to go through that road .. i thought maybe there's a way to do it without hackin anything.
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you would end up going for desktop I would recommend the iMac. Even though it may seem like it costs a lot, it's worth it completely.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Of course it is illegal, but it's not like Apple is going to catch you roflmao. So just install it if you want.
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I still wouldn't recommend it. I went down the same road once and ended up having to buy a new computer.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
the True

that's what im afraid of .. i don't want to mess up my laptop and make it even worse than it is now (knowing that when it comes to programing and software thingys im like Michael Jordon in a Formula1 car .. i'll make a nasty crash)
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's against the law and the EULA to install OSX on a Non Mac computer. We here at Mac Forums totally go along with the Laws of this country and also honor Apples EULA. We do not allow the discussion of OSX on Non Apple hardware nor Pirated or Hacked versions of OSX either. Sorry!

Get a Mac and run OSX all you want.

Thread Closed

« Spaces isn't working as I expected it to... | HELP ME First time Mac buyer iMac or Notebook??! »