New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I still love my Mac (a newbies 1 month report)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Udjamini

Udjamini is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule...

I know that visitors here who are considering getting a Mac, often are a little suprised that each forum is frought with problems, because, well, why post if you don't have a problem?

I'm speaking up for those. I got my Mac over a month ago and I've had a couple of glitches, most of which were self-induced because I was trying to drive my Mac like it was a PC.

Here's what I've done with my Mac so far. Each of these things I was actually stressed out about and procrastinated expecting that I didn't know enough about Macs to make any of it work.
  1. Plugged in Time Capsule (its a router/server/backup drive). It just worked. I didn't do anything. Now I have daily backups of my work with no effort. I did need to use it once and Time Machine just pulled out what I needed. The Time Capsule also needed to be set up as a router. It just did it itself, and didn't interfere with the rest of my network.
  2. I ordered a Belkin Express Card card reader. Inserted it into the Express Card slot on my MBP. Put in my camera's memory card in that. Got my pictures. I didn't need to do anything.
  3. Got a mighty mouse. Plugged it in. I don't like that you can't right click. But someone said all you need to do is change a setting. That daunted me too. But then I saw the setting and it was easy. Right click. Woot.
  4. I heard that you can't use a lot of the same printers on a Mac that you can on a PC. I thought i would have to find the installation software to install my PCs printer onto my Mac. I didn't. I just searched for Printers, it found my other computer, and found the installation on that one. And then it just worked. I didn't have to do anything.
  5. I learned how to install software. *Laugh*. You just drag a file over? And its installed? *laugh*
  6. I don't think I could ever live without the Dashboard. PC users will argue "but you can do something like that on a PC" but I snort at this idea. I live in a foreign country - now I have a unit converter and translator INSTANTANEOUSLY on one click? And the weather! And my husbands flight information!
  7. I imported ALL of my gmail and previous outlook files. I got the Address book to scan for all of the email addresses I use. Its not like Outlook contacts. Its BETTER. Simple, easy, but everything I need.
If you are new to Macs, come in here and tell people why you still love yours, even in transition. Of course, I still have loads of questions and wonder "can i do this...", but over all, I don't think I'll ever buy a PC ever again.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

How do u drive a Mac like a PC? I'm confused about that part.

Wall of text is not fun to read. I stop reading before the listed stuff. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
Udjamini

That's ok - it wasn't written for you. It was written for people like me, and its what I would have liked to have read right before I bought. There's not many of "me" posting on this forum, but I know they are reading.

If you consider regular paragraphs "a wall of text", and are confused by simple concepts......well, yes, I guess that wouldn't be fun. Best to get your jollies in another thread, I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I am reading.
QUOTE Thanks
jvetter18

jvetter18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
How do u drive a Mac like a PC? I'm confused about that part.

Wall of text is not fun to read. I stop reading before the listed stuff. >_<"
What an ignorant comment.

Very nice post, how dare you write a cohesive, well thought out post. But, the use of punctuation and proper spelling? How dare you.

Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 1 Jiggabite of Awesome

They've done research, 80% of the time it works all of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
frazzm737

frazzm737 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac--OSX 10.6.7

Excellent Post! When I got my Mac three years ago, I worried needlessly about how to address the same issues you mention. I was amazed when I plugged the machine into the power and the router, I was instantly on the internet. How cool was that? Now I take this amazing machine for granted and know that it just works and works easily!
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

maconvert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM

i'm having quite a bit of problems but i still will never buy a pc again
i can't live without a dashboard anymore either
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

maconvert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udjamini View Post

[*]I don't think I could ever live without the Dashboard. PC users will argue "but you can do something like that on a PC" but I snort at this idea. I live in a foreign country - now I have a unit converter and translator INSTANTANEOUSLY on one click? And the weather! And my husbands flight information!

it's not even one click if you add it to expose it's a sliding of your finger to a corner of your desktop...
my dashboard is the lower right corner
how cool is that?

QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Nice post, it is good now and then to hear success stories instead of the endless stream of complaints, most of which are self inflicted or from people to lazy to read a manual or use a little common sense.

My Mac pro is two years old now and i have had no real problems with it, my wife's G5 iMac is about 5 years old and has served her well all that time with no problems. I just got her a new iMac intel model today and she loves it completely. Can't believe how easy it was to transfer programs, data, and configurations. Simply attach a firewire cable and tell it go. Comes up with everything just like it was all connected to internet and to the network. Amazing machine.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
RozzieJ

RozzieJ is on a distinguished road

Thank you, it was a wonderful post

I have had my 24" iMac for a week now and I am in love!! I think I must have always been meant for Macs lol

I have found everything so easy- it all just works! and quickly! We turned it on, and it just connected to our wireless internet!

I know there is SO much to learn and I am not even scraping the surface of it's potential, but I will never go back to PC.
QUOTE Thanks
EdH

EdH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udjamini View Post
That's ok - it wasn't written for you. It was written for people like me, and its what I would have liked to have read right before I bought. There's not many of "me" posting on this forum, but I know they are reading.

If you consider regular paragraphs "a wall of text", and are confused by simple concepts......well, yes, I guess that wouldn't be fun. Best to get your jollies in another thread, I suppose.
Well said! A post that is thought out and well written is always worth reading.

I'm at the four month mark with my macbook, and I am 100% satisfied. I remember being surprised that my Epson printer drivers were already installed when I plugged it in the first time, and the first time I connected my digital camera... flawlessly imported pictures and deleted the originals (at my request, of course). The only downside is that now my daughter wants a macbook too

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Congratulations. Come back in another month

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvetter18 View Post
What an ignorant comment.

Very nice post, how dare you write a cohesive, well thought out post. But, the use of punctuation and proper spelling? How dare you.
Yeah I'm rude for not reading something that hurts my eyes as a designer. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Yeah I'm rude for not reading something that hurts my eyes as a designer. >_>"
No, you're rude for bashing a post without reading it and on the grounds of its format rather than content. I consider replies like that a greater affront to my eyes than a "wall of text" (which the original post was not).

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
Udjamini

Thanks guys. I was going to say "apparently, designers don't like to read newspapers or books either", but as a former designer, I know that's just not true. Perhaps its just the designers that find the word "you" too cumbersome to type out in its entirety.

maconvert, thanks for the tip! (I love these hidden little tricks)

Keith, don't jinx me. I went to install my printer driver today and ran into a glitch and immediately thought I jinxed myself. (turned out it was, again, user error). I'm sure I still will be posting LOTS of issues/questions, either way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« moving files into entourage | Picked up a G4 second hand »