New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best feature of MacBook: inability to play DVD's!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Changed

Changed is on a distinguished road

I deleted DVD Player in favor of VLC, and now I can't play any DVD's. I try loading from disc, doesn't work. Try the .TS or whatever in VLC and it plays 2 seconds of the movie then VLC shuts down.

Now, I try to go back and download DVD Player from Mac and it tells me I have a newer version, yet Finder yields no instance of DVD Player anywhere on my Mac. AWESOME!

Thanks Mac, I'm loving this sweet feature.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC_FAN_3000

MAC_FAN_3000 is an unknown at this point

That MAY be the issue, Try downloading/re-installing the DVD Player and then launch the VLC.

Also, the DVD Player may have DVD drivers that are required to play them..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Thanks Mac? You're the one who deleted DVD player and you're complaining?

Go here to download "Pacifist" and use it to extract DVD player from your Leopard DVD.

http://www.charlessoft.com/

You could have installed VLC without deleting DVD player. You can always choose which application you want to play DVDs.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I deleted DVD Player in favor of VLC, and now I can't play any DVD's. I try loading from disc, doesn't work. Try the .TS or whatever in VLC and it plays 2 seconds of the movie then VLC shuts down.

Now, I try to go back and download DVD Player from Mac and it tells me I have a newer version, yet Finder yields no instance of DVD Player anywhere on my Mac. AWESOME!

So you're upset at Apple that something doesn't work because you went and deleted things which you shouldn't have? Yeah.....makes sense to me!
QUOTE Thanks
Changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_FAN_3000 View Post
That MAY be the issue, Try downloading/re-installing the DVD Player and then launch the VLC.

Also, the DVD Player may have DVD drivers that are required to play them..
so I am forced to take up more HD space because Mac wants me to be stuck with their software?

What is the point of having VLC at all then?
QUOTE Thanks
Changed

where can I get DVD Player to download? Or do I have to reinstall iLife fresh?
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

DVD player is not part of iLife
Download pacifist.
Run Pacifist
Find section that has DVD player.
Install DVD player.

So exactly just how much space were you trying to save?
Try downloading monolingual and delete extra languages, that'll save you a few gig.
Only delete extra languages that you don't use..don't delete the other stuff unless you know what you are doing (Archectitures, keyboard layouts etc)
QUOTE Thanks
Changed

Just used pacifist and got it back. I figured DVD Player was some application that was bundled, thats why I deleted it.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Just used pacifist and got it back. I figured DVD Player was some ******** application that was bundled, thats why I deleted it.
No you were wrong.

That tip MacFanBoy posted about deleting extra languages is a good idea. Also deleting unused printer drivers is good too.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Quote:

Oops! You shouldn't remove the Applications that came preinstalled with your Macintosh. If you want to use another program that is considered a replacement, just download it and install it; removing preinstalled Applications is not a good idea. No offense, but even a novice user would tell.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Quote:
so I am forced to take up more HD space because Mac wants me to be stuck with their software?

What is the point of having VLC at all then?
How much would a DVD player take up in the first place? Not very much. Anyway, you shouldn't delete software without batting an eyelids, especially important stuff such as a DVD player. Anyway VLC is good since it plays virtually every single type of video clip. Even you need VLC on a PC to do that.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mail option cannot send mail | Yes, another BootCamp question »