New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I had it with PPC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Ok look....
My iBook was nice, it was...
But I can't get over how amazing macbooks are. I know 2 months ago I was so against getting one, but the DDR2 RAM makes all of the difference IN THE WORLD! Yeah the PPC is great for web browsing and stuff, and yeah this screen isn't 15"...But with the price people are paying for powerbooks on ebay...Why wouldn't you just spend the extra $120 and get a macbook like I have, that zips through programs and you can even run windows on it? I sold my iBook on eBay for $600...and promptly bought a mint condition macbook for an exta $50...makes no sense to me...

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

One of the smartest moves Steve Jobs has made was switching to Intel CPUs. That opened the market up to many potential PC buyers (including myself). Isn't it great to be able to run OS X on your MacBook and at the same time know that you can also run Windows for that occasional game? Not that any of us ever plays games.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

I KNOW!!!! I love the keyboard too...I hated it at first but it's so much better than any other keyboard I've ever used and the wide 13.3" screen makes so much more sense! It's so much easier on the eyes! I'm going to be keeping this one for a long, long time

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Night and day...
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Night and day...
I know. It's light, it's fast...I just wish it was black lol.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Yes and with Classic on Intel working so well for emulating OS 9. (Well for me anyways) I see no need to go for PPC unless your budget says otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
Ok look....
My iBook was nice, it was...
But I can't get over how amazing macbooks are. I know 2 months ago I was so against getting one, but the DDR2 RAM makes all of the difference IN THE WORLD! Yeah the PPC is great for web browsing and stuff, and yeah this screen isn't 15"...But with the price people are paying for powerbooks on ebay...Why wouldn't you just spend the extra $120 and get a macbook like I have, that zips through programs and you can even run windows on it? I sold my iBook on eBay for $600...and promptly bought a mint condition macbook for an exta $50...makes no sense to me...
The PowerBook G4 has a dedicated video card, whereas the MacBook does not. For this reason, Universal Binary games for Mac OS X actually perform better on the old PowerBooks than they do on current MacBooks. And I honestly never encountered sluggishness with my old PowerBook in any programs that weren't performing tasks that would take upwards of several seconds on any setup, so I really don't think CPU is that much a bottleneck for most applications. Plus you get a better screen. All that for less money, and the PowerBook still looks better than the MacBook. I can see people doing it.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
The PowerBook G4 has a dedicated video card, whereas the MacBook does not. For this reason, Universal Binary games for Mac OS X actually perform better on the old PowerBooks than they do on current MacBooks.
This is one of the main reasons that i went with the MBP over the MB. And the firewire 800 was definitely a plus. I use externals a lot for music while DJ'in so every little bit of speed helps
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

the Intel processors are top notch.

IBM and Motorola could not make a decent processor for Mac, that's for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
the Intel processors are top notch.

IBM and Motorola could not make a decent processor for Mac, that's for sure.
I find this kind of amusing since the G5 was the first 64-bit processor in general consumer use and the fastest desktop processor for quite a while before AMD gave their Opteron line a major boost in 2004 or so. And both IBM and AMD made multicore processing a point of interest before Intel came late to the party. Intel's offerings for desktops at the time were almost laughable in comparison. It was only relatively recently with the shift to the Core (2) technology that Intel was finally able to make a decent processor for desktop workstations.

That said, the G4 being kept in Apple's notebooks for so long was pushing it. The Pentium M was actually quite deserving of praise, and not surprisingly, the best thing Intel did with that processor was abandon the approach their desktop processors were taking at the time.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

I'm not knocking PPC. A couple of years ago I'd be all about PPC still. Sadly PPC is outdated for what I need a computer for and I agree the G4 being kept for so long was pushing it. I mean I don't know how the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz powerbooks run Leopard, but the iBook ran Leopard very slowly and that was with 1.42 GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. But think about it...2004 was 4 years ago, and you know how fast technology progresses.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

PowerPC is not outdated; it's simply a vague name given to a family of architectures. The PowerPC processors from 4 years ago are outdated. For examples of "PowerPC" processors still in use by machines today, you need only look at the PS3 or Xbox 360.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
I'm not knocking PPC. A couple of years ago I'd be all about PPC still. Sadly PPC is outdated for what I need a computer for and I agree the G4 being kept for so long was pushing it. I mean I don't know how the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz powerbooks run Leopard, but the iBook ran Leopard very slowly and that was with 1.42 GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. But think about it...2004 was 4 years ago, and you know how fast technology progresses.
Something else must be going on there. Leopard runs fine on my 1Ghz G4 iBook with 1Gb of RAM. I'm not playing games with it or anything, just mail and web surfing while on the road, but it is far from sluggish or even slow.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can a MacBook Pro handle music and video | Windows Boot Camp: Disconnection from the Internet »