New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Mail option cannot send mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maconvert

maconvert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM

Hello,

I am so frustrated with the Mac mail option. I can't send any mail with it because it says there is no available server.
What does that mean?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It means you haven't properly setup Mac Mail to send mail from your ISP's server. Have you gone into "accounts" in Mac Mail and filled in all the information that's needed? ie: Incoming Mail Server, User Name, Password, Outgoing Mail Server?

Accounts in Mac Mail can be accessed by opening Mail preferences.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

outgoing mail server

sorry im a dunce
but whats an outgoing mail server???
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

It's the server your mail goes through on the way out - you have one for the way in as well. What the address of your sever is depends on who provides your email.
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

i don't understand at all, but thanks anyway
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconvert View Post
sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

Well what's after the @ in your email address?
QUOTE Thanks
didjaever

didjaever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconvert View Post

You would have to do the same thing if you were setting up your email on a PC using Outlook...

MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
Green iPod Nano / 4GB
iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by didjaever View Post
You would have to do the same thing if you were setting up your email on a PC using Outlook...

Yar
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

gmail for example

and i know i hated outlook im not too fond of "mail" either
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Take a look here.

You do need to set up your mail for it to work properly... if you really hate it then use webmail.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

what e-mail service are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

goddess_of_go is on a distinguished road

One thing I have noticed is that even though Mail is set up to send email from my mobile me email address it sometimes is unable to do so. In those instances it helps to have another email address with a server that you can use instead to send the mail. If Mail can't use your default server it gives you an opportunity to choose another. It can't do that if you don't have more than one email address configured though. So it would be worth it to have other accounts set up. I have Verizon and GMail so I can always send mail even if the mobile me server is flaking out.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Are you kidding?

In recent version of Leopard Mail there's an option for certain email providers to "automatically set up account". This also works for Gmail.

If you leave that checked all you need is your email address and password, click continue and you're done!

Couldn't be any simpler IMO. If you're having issue, try deleting the account and add it again:
Mail > Preferences > Accounts: Select your Gmail account from the list and click the "-" icon at the bottom.

Then press "+" and enter your name, email and password. Make sure the "auto setup" option is checked and Bob's your uncle.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with ffmpeg | Best feature of MacBook: inability to play DVD's! »