Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Mac Mail option cannot send mail (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/124449-mac-mail-option-cannot-send-mail.html)

maconvert 09-22-2008 11:45 PM

Mac Mail option cannot send mail

Hello,

I am so frustrated with the Mac mail option. I can't send any mail with it because it says there is no available server.
What does that mean?

chscag 09-23-2008 12:40 AM

It means you haven't properly setup Mac Mail to send mail from your ISP's server. Have you gone into "accounts" in Mac Mail and filled in all the information that's needed? ie: Incoming Mail Server, User Name, Password, Outgoing Mail Server?

Accounts in Mac Mail can be accessed by opening Mail preferences.

Regards.

maconvert 09-23-2008 02:23 AM

outgoing mail server

sorry im a dunce
but whats an outgoing mail server???

skaheadpunk 09-23-2008 02:32 AM

It's the server your mail goes through on the way out - you have one for the way in as well. What the address of your sever is depends on who provides your email.

maconvert 09-23-2008 12:51 PM

sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

i don't understand at all, but thanks anyway

skaheadpunk 09-23-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maconvert (Post 730426)
sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

Well what's after the @ in your email address?

didjaever 09-23-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maconvert (Post 730426)

You would have to do the same thing if you were setting up your email on a PC using Outlook...

belunos 09-23-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by didjaever (Post 730469)
You would have to do the same thing if you were setting up your email on a PC using Outlook...

Yar :Confused:

maconvert 09-23-2008 04:10 PM

gmail for example

and i know i hated outlook im not too fond of "mail" either

skaheadpunk 09-23-2008 04:15 PM

Take a look here.

You do need to set up your mail for it to work properly... if you really hate it then use webmail.

eliehass 09-23-2008 08:34 PM

what e-mail service are you using?

goddess_of_go 09-24-2008 04:22 PM

One thing I have noticed is that even though Mail is set up to send email from my mobile me email address it sometimes is unable to do so. In those instances it helps to have another email address with a server that you can use instead to send the mail. If Mail can't use your default server it gives you an opportunity to choose another. It can't do that if you don't have more than one email address configured though. So it would be worth it to have other accounts set up. I have Verizon and GMail so I can always send mail even if the mobile me server is flaking out.

Terri

Aptmunich 09-24-2008 04:30 PM

Are you kidding?

In recent version of Leopard Mail there's an option for certain email providers to "automatically set up account". This also works for Gmail.

If you leave that checked all you need is your email address and password, click continue and you're done!

Couldn't be any simpler IMO. If you're having issue, try deleting the account and add it again:
Mail > Preferences > Accounts: Select your Gmail account from the list and click the "-" icon at the bottom.

Then press "+" and enter your name, email and password. Make sure the "auto setup" option is checked and Bob's your uncle.