New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What is the big deal people!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bresine

Bresine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2.4ghz, RAM 1GB

Ok I just purchased my first imac from long use of pc...same old story. I did about 1 month of research before I made my purchase. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. One thing that is really odd is all the complaints from people that are complaining about the imac's "glossy" screen!!! What is the big deal people!!!!....Time and again I have read the same complaint...I can see my reflection in the screen when it is dark"...ok well if it is dark you arent doing anything that important!.... or if you are doing something ...watching a movie or something similiar...adjust your lighting in your room...same as if you were watching tv!!! I dont understand how people can complain about almost everything...including me complaining about people complaining! haha

Anyways...I am completely satisfied with my mac....much better than my old PC's. Still getting used to somethings...but all in good time. Next task is transferring my itunes...ive read some pretty informative threads on here on how to do that...so thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Haha yea. The glossy screen doesn't bother me that much too. Glad to hear its working out well for you

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I like seeing my own reflection when I work? >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i believe you may have violated an obscure forum rule that forbids the amount of exclamation points you have used there my friend.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I like the glossy screen, looks fine to me too
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

My MacBook has a glossy screen and it's never been a problem - even outdoors in the sun. I can't figure out what everyone's complaining about!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
My MacBook has a glossy screen and it's never been a problem - even outdoors in the sun. I can't figure out what everyone's complaining about!
I just generally dislike glossy screens. I do realize that it's a personal foible though

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

I don't even notice it on my 20 inch iMac because I don't go looking for anything. When working on the computer I don't even notice the gloss.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
Capitalcrew

Capitalcrew is on a distinguished road

I hate screens that aren't glossy. The screen on my dell wasn't and it looked terrible. Nothing had any life or depth to it.

Stupid dell.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcrew View Post
Stupid dell.
Hahaha.
QUOTE Thanks
shaolinmac

shaolinmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Imac Intel 2.16GHZ, 2GB ram, 250GB, 128MB graphic card / Black Macbook 2.4GHZ, 2GB ram, 250GB HD

Well I have an Imac with the Matte Screen and it's just wonderfull, but When I bought my Macbook I wish I had the option to have it with a Matte screen but after a while I got use to it again. and now it doesn't bother me as much.
QUOTE Thanks
douga

douga is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 160G

The whole thing about matte vs. glossy is a personal thing.

I haven't really seen the posts where people complained about the glossy screen, though, so I can't comment on that.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

It is personal, unless you work with photography or graphic design. Colors render more accurately on a matte screen. Glossy screens tend to over emphasize deep and rich colors. Sure it makes images POP, and that's lovely... But if it's accuracy you need for work, a glossy screen is not the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
It is personal, unless you work with photography or graphic design. Colors render more accurately on a matte screen. Glossy screens tend to over emphasize deep and rich colors. Sure it makes images POP, and that's lovely... But if it's accuracy you need for work, a glossy screen is not the way to go.
Aww you beat me to it...>_<" it usually the Graphic Designers that are really picky when it comes to monitors, well photographers too.
QUOTE Thanks
Orthodox

Orthodox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bresine View Post
Ok I just purchased my first imac from long use of pc...same old story. I did about 1 month of research before I made my purchase. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. One thing that is really odd is all the complaints from people that are complaining about the imac's "glossy" screen!!! What is the big deal people!!!!....Time and again I have read the same complaint...I can see my reflection in the screen when it is dark"...ok well if it is dark you arent doing anything that important!.... or if you are doing something ...watching a movie or something similiar...adjust your lighting in your room...same as if you were watching tv!!! I dont understand how people can complain about almost everything...including me complaining about people complaining! haha

Anyways...I am completely satisfied with my mac....much better than my old PC's. Still getting used to somethings...but all in good time. Next task is transferring my itunes...ive read some pretty informative threads on here on how to do that...so thanks!
I'm w/ you. I do a lot of photo editing and I really love this iMac monitor! Much better lifelikeness and detail than my previous Viewsonic 22" which I really liked. Couldn't be happier.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help, I'm tired of this thing! | Mac Vs Pc »