New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail 10.5 vs Outlook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MilenkoD

MilenkoD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro

I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?

Also, does 10.5 mail have spam filtering that works? Outlook's junk/spam filtering is a joke.

Thanks.

PS...I posted this same topic in the OS-X forum but didn't seem to get mu traction there...besides, wife is a soon to be 'Switcher'
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Outlook is primarily a PIM while the mail program supplied with OS X (currently Leopard) is an email client. Folks who use Outlook for mail only probably don't need Outlook.

The mail program in Leopard will attempt to identify junk mail but filtering really should be done at the ISP level. I use GMail which integrates very well into the Leopard mail program. Junk mail filtering takes place at the server level. (which is the way it should be)

As far as switching your wife over, why not setup an account for her on your Mac and let her test it out for herself? Many folks are reluctant to change but once they do switch, never look back.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

mail is not the same as outlook, since it is a different app, and does not have its own calendar, but ties in with the separate app iCal, and uses the masc Address Book as its contact manager

Its filtering is good tho

Also, because Outlook archives to a propriety format copying across all her mail is tricky but there is a way.

Basically it involves installing Thunderbird on the pc and importing outlook's mail to THunderbird. Then copying over thunderbirds mail folder to a mac with Thunderbird on it. Only when the mail is in Thunderbird will mail be able to import it.

If all that sounds like a hassle, then spend a few dollars on Outlook to mac, $10 well spent

http://www.littlemachines.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Mail is very good at filtering. I get about 800 spam emails a week. About 3 get through.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
I'm trying to switch my wife from a PC to a Mac. However, she seems to be married (besides to me) to Outlook. Is 10.5 Mail as good and functional as Outlook (not Express)?
No. It can't handle things like calendars. But Microsoft's Entourage is, provided you don't get the Student and Teacher Edition 2008 version.
QUOTE Thanks
MilenkoD

MilenkoD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
No. It can't handle things like calendars. But Microsoft's Entourage is, provided you don't get the Student and Teacher Edition 2008 version.
I do have Mac Office 2004. I always understood that Entourage was basically Outlook Express.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IWorks Pages and APA format | Super stressed.. »