New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Vs Pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jenifur

Jenifur is an unknown at this point

All the things you like (about both)
all the things you don't like (about both)
do you have iworks? do you like it?
other programs for mac you like

is macbook (no pro) good for school? (highschool and eventually college)

basically after this.. sell a mac to me... (figuratively, not literally)

i am debating whether or not to go with a mac, and have heard good and bad things about them.. i run on PC right now, but am unsure if i want to switch since ive never really *used* a mac before other than for msn..

your help is very much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

1. Can't really remember PCs all that well, it's been a while.
2. See above.
3. Yes I do. I like it. But you can also get Office for Mac if you prefer, which is good for switchers.
4. Erm... Mail? Most the programs I really like on my Mac (like CS3, games and stuff) are available for PC anyway.
5. That one depends on what you're planning to do at school I guess - if you're doing graphic design or something like that then I'd say you might need a MacBook Pro.

Go down to somewhere that sells Macs and have a good play with one! Or find someone you know with one and pay them a visit. I don't really want to tell you it's all wonderful and fabulous (which it IS!) if it's not the right computer for you, you'll just end up peed off!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
5. That one depends on what you're planning to do at school I guess - if you're doing graphic design or something like that then I'd say you might need a MacBook Pro.
MBP not needed for Graphic Design.

1. PC - Easier to put one together, IE custom gaming rig for a LAN party.
MAC - doesn't ask stupid questions and doesn't give cryptic messages.
2. Blue screen errors, spyware and virus scans every week.
Can't overclock the CPU on some models.
3. No
4. All the programs I use are available for both Mac and PC
5. Yes it's good for school and will last you a long time. I bring my Macbook with me all the time to take notes and I do digital paintings in my Art History class when I'm really bored. ^-^" Painting with just the track pad is challenging.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
MBP not needed for Graphic Design.
Nope, but it might not be a bad idea! If I were running things like CS3 all day rather than every now and then I'd want something a little more powerful, let alone anything involving a 3rd dimension.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Nope, but it might not be a bad idea! If I were running things like CS3 all day rather than every now and then I'd want something a little more powerful, let alone anything involving a 3rd dimension.
I have the CS3 Master Collection on my MacBook and I generally use it all day with Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator open simultaneously along with Adium and 15 plus tabs worth of webpages in firefox. No lagg whatsoever.

I decked my MB out and it's very comparable to my MBP that is my desktop replacement at home. The only difference between the two is one has a dedicated GPU, while the Macbook has to share it's memory with the GPU. Plus the screensizes are obviously different but when I'm on the go I'm always on my MB. The 17" MBP is to cumbersome to bring and it's heavy. Sure screen real-estate is nice and all, but mobility is a lot better.

As a graphic designer we aren't doing 3D renderings anyways so the Macbook is fine.

The MB is a very strong machine in a tiny package, and people need to give it a lot more credit.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifur View Post

Are you happy with Windows? If yes, the answer is stick with it. If no, and you're ready to try something different than go with a Mac. The reason I say this is that the Mac is definitely different than Windows, there is a slight learning curve and you'll need to keep an open mind. If you're not willing to do that, because you're otherwise happy with Windows, then it's a definite no go.

No one here is an Apple salesperson - you need to try it and decide if it's right for you. If it looks like it is, then know that there is really nothing you can do with a Windows machine that you can't do with a Mac (and vice versa). In fact, one of the advantages of a modern Mac is that you can run both Windows and Mac OS X simultaneously and seamlessly, yielding the best of both world.

i

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifur View Post

i am debating whether or not to go with a mac, and have heard good and bad things about them.. i run on PC right now, but am unsure if i want to switch since ive never really *used* a mac before other than for msn..

your help is very much appreciated
1 - I like pretty much everything about MS Windows computers.
I like the design of the MacBook and MBPro, the OS is pretty nice and
has a pretty design. Fast, flawless, and is totally SECURED.

2 - What I hate about Windows is that it crashed a bit too many times, and viruses easily harm it.
What I hate about Macintosh OS X is that it's too complicated for new users, can not run normal games on it but only Mac-based ones, and too many privileges are taken away from the owners.

3 - My MacBook Pro '08 came preinstalled with iWorks '08, it also came with the iWorks '08 original CD, I never really used any of the applications in it, since I am more of a gaming guy, I leave iWorks and other 'business' applications for college things and that's it, hence I haven't even started college yet.

4 - I like the built-in iSight camera of the MBP, especially the effects you can do with Photobooth, the iChat application, and also the GarageBand one which is awesome, but I can't really use it now, never tried except once. NOT EASY!

5 - I don't really know about normal MacBooks, but my best friend in real life who traveled to study in AUS 'American University in Sharjah' has a black MacBook '07 but when he went there, he bought the new Dell Latitude laptop, I never really asked why but I guess that answers your question?

Don't take my statements too serious because I am just a new Macintosh user, so I didn't really get the essence of Mac yet.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
What I hate about Macintosh OS X is that it's too complicated for new users, can not run normal games on it but only Mac-based ones, and too many privileges are taken away from the owners.
That might have been the case back in the OS 9 days, but there's plenty of latitude with OS X in terms of tweaking things "under the hood". Once you learn your way around the terminal, you'll realize just how much privilege one has.

The "normal games" you're referring to are games designed for Windows. Just as Windows can't play games designed for PS3, one can't play Windows games on a Mac - with one big difference. If it's really important to you, you can always install Windows on your Mac and then it's no problem.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
If it's really important to you, you can always install Windows on your Mac and then it's no problem.

"I bought a mac to run windows"

Haha, why, then, would one buy a mac if they knew they planned on gaming?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post

Because I wanted a Mac...? That not a valid reason? I want to play the odd game, but not deal with Windows, so I game on my Mac.

Yup, I do occasionally run Windows when I feel an urge, but I'd rather own a Mac and use Windows some of the time, when I fancy it, than have to use it day in day out just to play a game!

Actually, I think using Windows via Bootcamp is a really good solution if you're into Windows games but don't want to use it all the time! I can't really think of a better way of doing it tbh... except if a Mac ran Windows games natively, but then it wouldn't be a Mac and we'd have PC viruses.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
As a graphic designer we aren't doing 3D renderings anyways so the Macbook is fine.
TBH, I've never been all that clear on what graphic design entailed , so thanks for putting me on the right path! I imagine lots of interesting rotating 3D shapes and things.

Man, do I feel ignorant. Never worked up the courage to ask cos everyone seems to know what they're talking about!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post

i'm not sure if you're directing that at cwa, or just at people in general, but cwa meant that you can also run windows on an intel mac via bootcamp, vm, parallels... if there's a program that you just can't find a replacement for or like some windows only games, you have that option.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Likes-
Windows - Nothing much I can say. I've had really bad experiences with my Vista and XP PC/Notebook. Only thing I like about it that its compatible with lots of games.
OS10 - Simple, clean and easy to use. I learnt my way around os10 in less than a day. ( Took me a few months to actually UNDERSTAND how vista works )

Dislikes
Windows - Hate that its so vulnerable to all kinds of things, and well ( Like my vista which cant read usb's )
OS 10 - Dislike Microsoft office for mac ( If you've noticed , in office 08, the short cut keys displayed are ctrl + c instead of cmd. ) Other than that. I'm perfectly happy with my OS10.

iWork08 - One word. AWESOME! I've been using it for a month, and have uninstalled Microsoft office *coughsuckscough* Other than that. I love the graphical scheme.

Other programs I like, I my self LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE mail, my cs3 creative, iWork, Aperture, Final Cut Express ( MB's cant support the pro version ) and FINDER! I CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT! xD

QUOTE Thanks
Jenifur

Jenifur is an unknown at this point

hm well i guess that settles it.. haha yeah i am really sick of the layout of PC.. i mean, i don't mind it, except for the crashing, viruses, spies, and being a complete douche most of the time.. oh and being extremely ugly (the start menu and everything..) and i dont use office, lol..i was just curious since if i put a writing thing on my notebook when i get one, i wasn't sure which oneto get.. cause iworks is like 300 cheaper, so i wasn't sure if it was just as good or no.. but thank you
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

you'll find out what you've been missing when you switch.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the big deal people!!! | Just a few simple questions »