New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching On The Cheap

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

niallac

niallac is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm currently a PC owner by default - I was looking for a computer, primarily as an internet browser, about 6 years ago and ended up buying my first PC - an absolute beast of an old CAD workstation, with 2 old PIII 866 CPUs and more fan noise than a hovercraft, which cost me about 200 on eBay.

At about ten years old, the beast is now starting to show its age, toiling under the increasing demands of multimedia web browsing, huge mp3/aac files, digital photos, etc. When it goes, I certainly don't want another PC - I used to work in IT (support/dev) so it was vaguely useful for me to keep abreast of the latest incarnations of Windows, but now I am free of the industry I have no need for another Windoze machine.

I've used Macs in the past (Classics, Performas) and supported a couple of old G3s at one point at work, more through luck than good judgement

I now know nothing whatsoever about modern Macs and am looking for some advice re buying a secondhand one. I see G4 machines at reasonable prices, but will this be a quick route to being trapped in obsoletion? Could I upgrade one of these machines to run a currently supported version of Mac OS?

I don't play games on my home computer, I really only use it for t'internet, a bit of iPod/iTunes and a few digi photos.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Niall
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

It's rumoured that Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) will drop PPC support and only work with Intel Macs. In other words, buying an older Mac will mean you will be unable to run the next version of OSX.

If you're looking to buy a Mac, have you considered a Mac Mini?
QUOTE Thanks
Tahiti1028

Tahiti1028 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch

If I were you, I'd seriously consider purchasing a G5 or Intel Mac because of better compatibility with 10.5 and soon, 10.6.

My iMac: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5, 2 GB (2x1GB) Kingston RAM, 80 GB ATA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 17" LCD Display, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
niallac

niallac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
It's rumoured that Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) will drop PPC support and only work with Intel Macs. In other words, buying an older Mac will mean you will be unable to run the next version of OSX.

If you're looking to buy a Mac, have you considered a Mac Mini?
Yes, but I am afraid it will not satisfy the darker, geekier side of me which wants to take things apart and fiddle with them...

How 'locked down' are the Mac Minis? Are they a 'proper computer' or just an appliance, which comes with a set build of software and is not supposed to be user-modifiable/upgradeable?

Niall
QUOTE Thanks
jeantr

jeantr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

Mac minis, unlike some other Apple computers, are "locked down" as far as hardware goes in a way, but there are some who "mod" and upgrade theirs, like at http://www.123macmini.com/, but it voids your warranty.

But as far as software and OS goes, it's the same as any other Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
godfatherrr

godfatherrr is on a distinguished road

A barebones Mac Mini seems to be perfect for your needs:

1. Its the cheapest Mac, so it's perfect for testing the waters.
2. It's Intel, and therefore "future-proof".
3. For the small tasks you do, it will be more than capable.
4. If need be, you can upgrade the RAM (and the RAM only) to boost performance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lukewarm feelings towards my purchase. | Safari Disapearing act »