New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Oh dear, oh dear........the rant

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

simplistic overview of my mac experience:
1. April 08 - switched to iMac 2.8
2. Very impressed with all aspects of mac ownership.
3. After some OS updates, getting weird things happening with iCal.
4. Ask local store "genius" for help/info.
5. Told - "never seen that before, you should re-install (archive and install) OS.
6. Did as advised. All went well until the final reboot, when the system asks for your admin password. It wouldn't accept the password. ANY password!!
7. Went to local Apple store (lucky there is one, cos email/phone support is useless) to try and illicit some sort of help. Remember, I now can't access the internet!!
8. Very friendly, very nice people, but help is via me sitting at one of their iMacs, accessing the internet.
9. They finally acknowledged that they would help me if I brought the iMac to the store. Fair comment.
10. I decided to attempt a backup restore via Time Machine. It worked.
11. Now I am back where I started, with my original iCal issues. (other threads exist about them).

As a switcher since April 08, I have grave concerns. I have NEVER been in this position (in over 20 years) with a windows set up. I know windows has it's faults and that's one of the things that made me look at Apple, but I am afraid that Apple are no better, practically, than any other computer manufacturer.
Don't get me wrong, I want this to work, but perhaps the hype is just that - hype.

Let's hope I can sort this out. I have spent a lot of hard earned in the Apple store.

N
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

If you restored from a backup with the effected issue you'd simply pick that issue up. When was your backup taken? Before/after the iCal issue?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

what is the ical issue?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

OK guys, thanks for the interest.
Correct, I am now back where I started with the original iCal issue.
That issue is that when I try to add an event, I am not able to set a time. I can set the date but not the exact time. Where the 24 hour clock should be in the event window, is replaced with the date. So I see the date twice!!
Weird huh??
But even worse, is the fact that Apple's archive and install procedure, somehow messed up my login parameters.

N
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have done more Archive and Installs than I can count and never a messed up password. It's the Admin password it's after. You can boot with the OSX DVD and reset the password to something else if you want. Boot holding down the C key so it boots from the OSX DVD and when you get to the installer, check the tools dropdown menu (I believe) and look for reset password.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

No offense, but suddenly Windows is better than Mac just because of a few problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Your iCal issue is probably because you've messed up the date & time formatting settings under System Preferences.

System Prefs > International > Dates > Customize and then check the short, medium and long date settings. Repeat for the time options.
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

Man, what a terrible computer! I'll tell you what, I'll trade you a 2001 Dell P4 for it straight up so you don't have to deal with that iMac anymore, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Oh dear. It seems I have upset a few people here.
The idea of the post was to try and get some help, but some people seem to think that it's a moan. Wrong!!!!
I was just trying to outline my experiences.
Fortunately, I got my help and after some delving have sorted out my iCal issue. Thanks go to Aptmunich. Europe wins again.
Enjoy your macs.

N
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

glad your problem has been resolved, there is always someone here with an answer
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilf View Post
Oh dear. It seems I have upset a few people here.
The idea of the post was to try and get some help, but some people seem to think that it's a moan. Wrong!!!!
posts beget the responses they deserve. yours was a mild rant, you even titled it so yourself, got a couple snarky responses and some relatively quick remediation (by experience, not a region).

feel free to think people are coming down on you for no reason whatsoever. you'll just be wrong.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Did the 10.5.5 update fix your issues?

QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Johnthemacgeek,
I haven't upgraded yet - too much trauma for one week! JOKE!!!!
the iCal prob was a setting in the international time section.
Guess it was my problem. I must have played around with it at some time.
Fortunately there are people on this forum who are willing to help newbies out.

Diversifying a little bit, somebody mentioned previously that they had done quite a few "archive and installs". It didn't work for me regarding loosing my admin password. But why would you need to do many "archive and installs"? Unless you are some kind of system administrator?

Thanks to most of you.

N
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a defrag program for macs | Ibook G4 - flashing white screen on boot - HELP!!! »