New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My switch story (gather round PC guru's)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

)(*

:spook:
I began my highschool career August 14, 2002.
My highschool had a computer program there called Student Technology Leadership Program, STLP for short.
I joined their ranks and really didnt know alot about computer, i just knew i had a great interest in them.
As i progressed in my learning of PCs and PC repair, i never got to know the mac. And as always, in human nature, we are afraid of the unknown.
By January of 2003, i was a PC fanatic. I was going to lan parties, most notably LANWAR, building PCs, i was doing it all.
My Freshmen year is what i call, the introduction to the computer world.

In August of 2003, i was in the STLP again, for the year, again. So, in december, one of our faithful G3 iMacs died for no reason. I was commisioned to repair it.
Until that day, i hated mac, i hated everything about mac, i hated the way they made their business circled around where you have to buy their product.
I started investigating. I checked the PSU first, then i took out the HD and discovered it just died. I poped a new one in and had to reinstall 10.2

It was the easiest OS install ive ever done in my life. From that day on i started tinkering with the iMac, playing around, seeing what was going on.

And now, Christmas 2004, i got my 12 inch powerbook.

Although in August and Sept., my father wanted to get laptops for my brothers since they were attending college now. I recommended 14 inch iBooks. And thats what they got.

So, i say i switched about that time.
But here i am, spawn of the PC world, member of the Mac philosophy.

Thank you for your time. :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

I hear that. Our backgrounds are pretty similar. I'm sure if more PC guru's were introduced to Apples there would be a lot more switchers.
QUOTE Thanks
New2Macs

New2Macs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolate One
I hear that. Our backgrounds are pretty similar. I'm sure if more PC guru's were introduced to Apples there would be a lot more switchers.
Applause.
Nice story it's pretty funny how in some way or form our switching stories are all pretty much simialr. Being scared of the unknown or just listening to our trusted Windhoes friends.
QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

Hehe I was the same as you. For a long time I actually thought Macs or anything by Apple was a joke. If you haven't done it already, check out my "switcher" review http://www.blackhaloinc.com/gadgets/index.php#123

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

when i switch (still need the $$$ ) my story will be almost the same (heh)

how's the 12 incher? ive been thinking about getting... but, i think the screen is too small....

Tell me about it

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
)(*

I wanted the 15 inch, but the cost is too much. But after i got my 12 inch powerbook, i am MUCH more glad that i got this than the 15inch. Because its alot easier to carry to school, and just bring it with me everywhere. And thats why i wanted a laptop. At home i run a dual monitor setup with another keyboard and two button mouse so i can edit my movies and make music. im a big multi-tasker. Its wonderful
I game on Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and it runs wonderfully.

I highly recommend this.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

i hated windows for the same reason people hated Macs ... ignorance.

then i learned the PC, and worked in PC repairs and can say i know windows as well as i do macs.

so now i hate windows for the same reason i love macs .... knowledge.

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
i hated windows for the same reason people hated Macs ... ignorance.

then i learned the PC, and worked in PC repairs and can say i know windows as well as i do macs.

so now i hate windows for the same reason i love macs .... knowledge.
That's an exellent statement. Because only when you know both worlds, you really know which one's better... :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

ya, a lot more people would switch to macs if they were just exposed to them. i mean, exposed to them in a good way. for example, in my hs all the computers in the lab are the crt imac g3's running classic. a lot of the people i know, (save for a few who swear by macs), think mac's aren't good because they are exposed to ones that are not a good example. they are slow and they freeze a lot and we have to pull the cord out lol. if the school had computers like imac g5's, running osx, then i think a lot of people's opinions would be different. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Unlike a lot of PC users I always loved Macs but simply could never afford one. A close friend when we were kids father got a Lisa. He let me use it and I loved it and later he sold it and got a Plus. I loved that also but could only afford an Atari ST. Later I started building PC's as they were so low in cost but kept dreaming of a Mac. I was later given an old Plus with 4 megs RAM and 40 Meg HDD. It was way behind the II Series macs and my PC's but I used it for all I could use it for. I later got an IICI but by the time I got it used it was so far behind the rest of the world but I used it for a lot of things and used the PC for the rest. It went on like that year after year with me getting a Quadra when Power PC's were out and I had a PII. Finally I got a G4 500 with Panther and even though it's not up to my PC that I use for Gaming it's Quite fast for 500 Mhz. Panther helps in that respect but still my AMD is faster at Video Encoding but most everything else can be done on the Mac. Am saving for an IMac G5 but might settle for the $500 Headless Mac as an Interm till I can get the $$$ together so at least I can do 95% of my work on OSX and not have to put up with Windows. Mostly now I use my AMD system as a glorified Xbox or PS2 just for Games or editing large Videos as it saves a lot of time but use the G4 for everything else.

So really I have always been a Mac person but just could not afford a newer mac that would keep up with what I needed to do. Things are changing finally! Thank god!
QUOTE Thanks
-=Superfly=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolate One
I consider my self a pc guru and mac user. I know for a fact that the PC community hates macs mainly because of how much they stop tweaking/overclocking. If this was different there would be many more switchers
QUOTE Thanks
LClark1L

My friend and I both started law school with a 12" and 15" G4 powerbook this fall (mine's bigger, nyuck nyuck nyuck). I'd suggest the 15", and my friend has often said this. It's just nice to have more real estate to work around in, and the 128 mb radeon is a nice addition. His laptop is easier to carry around, but carrying it in a backpack as he does, he worries sometimes that he's going to crush it with books or hurt just putting his bag down. I've never been too worried with mine, it just feels a bit more solid. But, in the end, it's a lot more expensive, so, at the end fo the day, his 12" powerbook doesn't mean he can't take notes, look up junk on lexis-nexis, or type up a final exam (which was pretty sweet). Sorry, kind of off-topic, but my two cents there.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Wow...So you build PCs? Now that you've been introduced to the Mac world, do you think you might try to build a Mac? I don't think there's anyone on these entire forums that can, but I do personally know someone who has done it a few times. If you could build Macs, we (that is, all of us on this board) could learn a great deal!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Id consider myself a guru on both ends, Ive built both, I started on pcs at age 7, so I knew nothing of macs, later, the first time I used an apple II, I was hooked, but macs arent really harder to build, the only problem Ive ever encountered is port positions and case fitting. I once took ALL the insides of a g4 ibook and put it all into a clamshell ibook. its what the person wanted wiuth the performance of the g4 ibook. the kb didnt fit, so I had to use the clamshells kb, the combo drive was stuffed in VERY tight, and the tray was slightly misaligned, but thats mostly cause of the shape of the clamshell ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

let me just add that Im still trying to forget all that I knew about pcs, except a few bits that may help a mac user networking with pcs and such.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When did you switch? | Help me please!!!! »