New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Made the decision to switch over

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vder

I have made the decision to switch over , now I need advise on what is good to get. Interested in a G5 machine ,already have the 23 inch monitor. Thanks for your input. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Prometheus

Well it depends on what you want to use the machine for I guess? If you want a G5 you should be looking at an iMac or Powermac. The iMac comes with a "built in" moniter, where as you will need a separate moniter for a powermac. Here in Uk for the price of the 17" 1.8GHZ iMac you can get the 1.8GHz Powermac, which will allow you to upgrade further. Depends on your budget and what you want to do at the end of the day I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vder
I have made the decision to switch over , now I need advise on what is good to get. Interested in a G5 machine ,already have the 23 inch monitor. Thanks for your input. :cool:
Already have the 23" do ya....lucky dog ! Well, that kind of limits you though, the Imac, which by the way is a great system at a very good price comes with built in monitor so you would probably be more interested in a PowerMac G5 then. More money of course, but more horsepower too. Depending what you want to do will point you to which of the PowerMacs to buy. The one with the dual 2.5 processors is great for power users who want top end power, but the dual 2.0 does a great job for about $500 less, and the bottom end model would probably make most people quite happy and with more money left in their pocket.
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

just the monitor? lol. interesting.
QUOTE Thanks
)(*

dude, apple monitors are the best. their so beautiful.

i recomend the powermac with the superdrive and at least 512MB of ram.

dual 1.8 is great for anything
dual 2.0 has the same motherboard and expansion capabilites as the 2.5
dual 2.5 will knock you out of the chair its so fast.
QUOTE Thanks
mikegold

mikegold is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17"

Do I go for the iMac G5 20" or a dual G5 2.0 using my current 19" crt with KVM switch with my PC?

Mostly just general home stuff but also photo printing and editing, dvd ripping and rendering.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegold
Do I go for the iMac G5 20" or a dual G5 2.0 using my current 19" crt with KVM switch with my PC?

Mostly just general home stuff but also photo printing and editing, dvd ripping and rendering.
Depends on your finances. I would vote for the G5 Dual 2.0, that is what I have and love it. But it is about $800/900 more than the iMac G5 with 20". While I also love my wife's iMac, a great machine, if you can afford it I would go with the G5 dualie as it can be upgraded much more than the iMac can. I use a Samsung 20" monitor with my G5 and it works just fine.

Either way both machines will do what you mentioned just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bobx2001

give me your apple display, and buy a imac

just kidding, get your self a powermac g5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My little switch story | Reselling »