New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Eurgh, my mind is driving me nuts.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Two things:
#1. I am sorry I'm practically spamming all of mac-forums because of the drama that's going on with my MacBook. I swear I was a baseball general manager in my past life. ><
#2. I'm sure this post will get moved too, but switcher hangout just seemed to be the most logical place to put this...

With that aside I was thinking about perhaps this as an option since I just really feel this MacBook isn't right for me.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: (I get my money refunded and this thing goes byebye.)

-I haven't been shy with sharing how fond I am of eMacs and how I would love to get a 1.42 GHz model. I have a 700MHz model but it's really too slow for what I am about to offer. If I kept this macbook, it'd be fine but I'm not. I figured I could wait around to get a good deal on an eMac like around $250ish. I figured that would be fast enough to chat on AIM chatrooms and play my VNES games.
-Since NONE of my classes seem to get a wireless broadcast, having a really fast MacBook is kind of self defeating considering...well...I don't really need the 1.8 GHz. I figured I could pick up a 400-667MHz powerbook that I can put microsoft office on it. (Yes I have office for mac. ) I figure $275 MAX for that.

That leaves $525 for two apples. Sounds better to me than one for $800.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - PAYPAL DOESN'T REFUND OR PARTIAL REFUND:

The two computers could still be mine and I could just eat $175 (I already paid my dad $100 back.) since this macbook is still worth about that. It's under applecare so the screen can be fixed and...Well...With the yellowing LCD screen bezel, get a skin for it? I could trade it for those two which I think would be awesome though I DOUBT anyone on this forum has a 1.42 GHz eMac and a 400-667MHz 15" powerbook they'd trade for this. Or I could sell it on here for what I just said...
OR I could trade this for a powerbook and cash so I could pay back my dad faster since he's hurting for cash. That also seems like a great option which I might take up tomorrow on the for sale thread. Plus I'd have to get rid of my eMac that I have now so I have space for the new eMac. (See it's just like moving players around for salary cap reasons....) So I think my last suggestion is the most logical, practical and realistic.
It's just a thought I'm kicking around and I'd REALLY appreciate ANY insight even if it's "Hey man, get a Pismo." Thanks!
-Jaguar

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Firstly keep the macbook. Maybe you don't use up all of it's 1.8Ghz. But you never know when you might just need that little extra juice. And macbooks are nifty machines too. Good at home and out. SO keep that.

Next about the emac. There's no need to get a powerbook (ie downgrade) after what was said above. So I'd just sell the emac. And pay back your dad. And then save up for the emac you want. That 1.42 Ghz model. I think you'd know the going rate of those machines and know what you're up against. And use your macbook for the inbetween periods.

And lastly. You could get the latest emac there ever was. And cause they're not made anymore, they'd just be getting further and further behind. If a suitable imac option came up would you be willing to forsake the emac for a potentially better computer in the imac? It's totally up to you though.

Well that's what I would do in your shoes. But of you say nope to it all, that's cool too.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
WORST CASE SCENARIO - PAYPAL DOESN'T REFUND OR PARTIAL REFUND:
Paypal's refund policy is only for use when disputing an unsuccessful transaction. It's not for buyer's remorse or because you're unhappy with the product. Those things you can take up with the seller, but you shouldn't file for a refund because you don't like the machine - even if it's not exactly as you had envisioned it. That's just being disingenuous.

Quote:
The two computers could still be mine and I could just eat $175 (I already paid my dad $100 back.) since this macbook is still worth about that. It's under applecare so the screen can be fixed and...Well...With the yellowing LCD screen bezel, get a skin for it? I could trade it for those two which I think would be awesome though I DOUBT anyone on this forum has a 1.42 GHz eMac and a 400-667MHz 15" powerbook they'd trade for this. Or I could sell it on here for what I just said...
OR I could trade this for a powerbook and cash so I could pay back my dad faster since he's hurting for cash. That also seems like a great option which I might take up tomorrow on the for sale thread. Plus I'd have to get rid of my eMac that I have now so I have space for the new eMac. (See it's just like moving players around for salary cap reasons....) So I think my last suggestion is the most logical, practical and realistic.
It's just a thought I'm kicking around and I'd REALLY appreciate ANY insight even if it's "Hey man, get a Pismo." Thanks!
-Jaguar
If you don't like the machine, I'd say just put it back up on eBay or in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Once you've successfully sold it, then make plans for your next acquisition. Right now, I think you've got the cart ahead of the horse.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

...It's not that I don't like the machine, it was sold to me by the seller telling me it is in "amazing condition" which it is not. A yellowed LCD bezel and a horribly scratched lcd case is not "Amazing condition". Sadly maybe it's because I am half awake because I just woke up but I do not know what you mean when you say that I have the cart ahead of the horse.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...It's not that I don't like the machine, it was sold to me by the seller telling me it is in "amazing condition" which it is not. A yellowed LCD bezel and a horribly scratched lcd case is not "Amazing condition". Sadly maybe it's because I am half awake because I just woke up but I do not know what you mean when you say that I have the cart ahead of the horse.
It's a euphemism for saying that you're doing things in the wrong order (i.e. a horse pulls the cart, which is behind it).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
it was sold to me by the seller telling me it is in "amazing condition" which it is not. A yellowed LCD bezel and a horribly scratched lcd case is not "Amazing condition".
That's your reason if you want to get a paypal refund. Just say the product that was shipped to you did not meet the description of it given by the seller at the point of sale. And with a little proof which I'm sure you'll have, you should get your money back easily.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

I guess I'm starting to grow into this macbook...I didn't like powerbooks that much either when I 1st got one haha but I DEFINITELY grew into that. I love your Billy Joel quote dude, he's amazing. But I digress, I think perhaps the most rational thing to do is yes request at least a partial refund because this is not in amazing condition and needs about $200 worth of work to make it look nice or well...At least refund some of my money so I can get a nice skin for it. Perhaps keeping it would be most logical as I never want to have a cart ahead of a horse. I try to be as rational and logical as possible at all times. (<3 Spock. Hahah)

Another question:
The processors on macbooks are of course Intel. They're dual core as well right? Because if they're dual core, they would be able to process information significantly faster than a single core processor.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

I have nothing to contribute except this:

With me, it's the opposite. My nuts are driving my mind.

QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Um...thanks for that...

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Another question:
The processors on macbooks are of course Intel. They're dual core as well right? Because if they're dual core, they would be able to process information significantly faster than a single core processor.
Not necessarily. Your application needs to be specifically designed to work with multiple processors. If it is not, the app will run no faster than it would on an equivalent single-core machine. Note that most applications are not multi-processor capable. This will change in the future, of course, with the advent of Snow Leopard and OpenCL.

QUOTE Thanks
chaM

chaM can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
I have nothing to contribute except this:

With me, it's the opposite. My nuts are driving my mind.

If you are a male then that is usually how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Good news.
Paypal refunded my money but I have to return the macbook to that guy.I REALLY don't want to buy from ebay again so what should I do? I doubt I'll get a decent macbook for $700 now =\

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
chaM

chaM can only hope to improve

Quote:
Good news.
Paypal refunded my money but I have to return the macbook to that guy.I REALLY don't want to buy from ebay again so what should I do? I doubt I'll get a decent macbook for $700 now =\
http://www.craigslist.org/
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

NOOOOO craigslist is baddddd lol...I'm thinking about just requesting a $200 refund from the seller so I can get a nice skin for this and I'll replace the screen. I don't feel like having to scour the forums and *gag* ebay for another macbook.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

If you can stretch your budget a bit further the cheapest one on the Apple refurb store is $899

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=CertifiedMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How-to ..Need help... | Help me decide »