New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Powerbook or MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

I need a computer that doesn't necessarily need to be 100% portable, works for surfing the web, music, videos, youtube, some video editing (very very little) and being able to hold my 15K car pictures.

My budget is $1000, maybe being able to push it up a bit if its something important.

The choices are either a Powerbook or a MacBook. I like the look of the Powerbook because of the bigger screen and the bigger speakers (I ALWAYS listen to music while I'm on the computer) but it is fairly old, not as fast, and not as future-proof. I'm planning on having this laptop for a good 4 years.

I'd immediatly go for the MacBook, but to me its not the Mac to replace my desktop, its the portable second computer. Also, going from a 19" to a 13" is going to be quite the change!

So my question is, is it worth it to go for the maxed out PB even though its a couple of years older, or just stick with the MacBook and hope I get used to the screen??

Any input is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

it is definitely worth it to get a powerbook. my girlfriend just bought an ibook last week, and it's working great. it sounds like you would benefit from a powerbook a lot more than a macbook, and would probably regret getting a macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
DoneDeal

DoneDeal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS

I don't know, the MAcbook is a pretty nice machine...bt the transition may be tough for you.
QUOTE Thanks
imnothardcore

imnothardcore is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G

I was using a windows desktop and wanted a new computer. I use CSS and photoshop fairly often for websites. I bought a macbook and lent my windows desktop to a friend a while ago.

its been months and I really havent missed it/dont care. Itll be nice to get it back soon to play COD4 and stuff but I dont do those very often so I really dont mind.

Sometimes I miss having a little bit larger of a screen but, its really not that bad. I like taking my laptop everywhere to work on the go now too. I used to think that people that did that were lame. But its actually a pretty nice switch up of atmosphere and enjoyable..lol

Id recommend the macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnothardcore View Post
I was using a windows desktop and wanted a new computer. I use CSS and photoshop fairly often for websites. I bought a macbook and lent my windows desktop to a friend a while ago.

its been months and I really havent missed it/dont care. Itll be nice to get it back soon to play COD4 and stuff but I dont do those very often so I really dont mind.

Sometimes I miss having a little bit larger of a screen but, its really not that bad. I like taking my laptop everywhere to work on the go now too. I used to think that people that did that were lame. But its actually a pretty nice switch up of atmosphere and enjoyable..lol

Id recommend the macbook.
How do you find the resolution changes? Ever wish for more space?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
QUOTE Thanks
imnothardcore

imnothardcore is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G

Yeah, I cant really say much more.

Sometimes I miss it, it would be a lie to say I didn't. But I really like the mobility and such and I think it more than makes up for it.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Its a trade off, Im running the 2.1ghz core 2 duo and I upgraded to 4gb of ram for about 60 dollars on new egg.

I dont regret anything with this computer, I was using a 1.0ghz 1.0gb of ram powerbook before this. Its nice but I think I prefer this. Id like to get a macbook pro one day, I think I might upgrade to that next year or something when I sell this little guy, we'll see whats available.

Kinda going on a tangent, but I really like my Macbook alot. I dont think you would regret getting it if you did. Especially if you just take it somewhere for fun one day. its ridiculous portable.
QUOTE Thanks
chaM

chaM can only hope to improve

If you want to play games then... you can buy my http://www.pittco.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3017.. $800. :].

But if you do not plan on playing games and just want to use a pc for everything except games then, why would the macbook not be a good choice? If you are worried about the screen size, you can hook it up to a monitor if you want bigger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Andy,
When I say get a powerbook, I mean get a powerbook. Look, I just got a macbook and sure it's not the best of macbooks because of the condition it's in, but with that aside...The spacing on the keys on the macbooks are freakin' annoying to no end....This screen hurts my eyes pretty badly after being on it for longer than two hours, I miss the size of it, it just feels more durable to me...Sorry I just think the macbook is much ado about nothing. I miss my powerbook badly. Your best bet is to get a 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz and you can keep about $400 out of that $1000 budget you're on. The 17" models have had lots of problems with the display, and the 15" screen is perfect. Take it from someone who has had both, get a powerbook- they're better.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
Andy,
When I say get a powerbook, I mean get a powerbook. Look, I just got a macbook and sure it's not the best of macbooks because of the condition it's in, but with that aside...The spacing on the keys on the macbooks are freakin' annoying to no end....This screen hurts my eyes pretty badly after being on it for longer than two hours, I miss the size of it, it just feels more durable to me...Sorry I just think the macbook is much ado about nothing. I miss my powerbook badly. Your best bet is to get a 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz and you can keep about $400 out of that $1000 budget you're on. The 17" models have had lots of problems with the display, and the 15" screen is perfect. Take it from someone who has had both, get a powerbook- they're better.
Ugh, just when I thought I was sold on the MacBook, a new, convincing post!!

Thanks for the small review. I guess the best advice is from those who have owned both in question.

Was/is there a big difference in power? Not that it really matters to me. If I can run iTunes, FireFox and iWork, I'm in fine form.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy348 View Post
Ugh, just when I thought I was sold on the MacBook, a new, convincing post!!

Thanks for the small review. I guess the best advice is from those who have owned both in question.

Was/is there a big difference in power? Not that it really matters to me. If I can run iTunes, FireFox and iWork, I'm in fine form.
I used to run iTunes, 3-5 firefox apps open along with AIM Instant Messenger and everything was savvy. Andy let's put it this way. The powerbook was so ahead of its time, it even has an illuminated keyboard, just one of the MANY things I miss about my powerbook. Since you seem to like music, the powerbook has much better speakers than the err....I won't swear there....kind of speakers this macbook has. Look this might tick some people off here, but I really think Apple cheaped out when they made the MacBooks and I'm not just judging it on the one MacBook I have owned. Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks? There's your answer Andy. Powerbooks were (In general) built to last. You know what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking about getting a 1.42 GHz eMac and getting a 667MHz Powerbook. Those are two computers built to last. Just...Trust me on this one dude....Get a 1.67GHz powerbook. lol

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
chaM

chaM can only hope to improve

That is great man. Some people do not have the money to spend on the MBP. Or some people like me do not need a laptop that has a 512mb gfx card in it. I am not gaming on a laptop, and surely not on a mac. Macbook is fine for my uses of it. Maybe for what you do you need a pro, I dont. Glad I got a MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Quote:
I used to run iTunes, 3-5 firefox apps open along with AIM Instant Messenger and everything was savvy. Andy let's put it this way. The powerbook was so ahead of its time, it even has an illuminated keyboard, just one of the MANY things I miss about my powerbook. Since you seem to like music, the powerbook has much better speakers than the err....I won't swear there....kind of speakers this macbook has. Look this might tick some people off here, but I really think Apple cheaped out when they made the MacBooks and I'm not just judging it on the one MacBook I have owned. Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks? There's your answer Andy. Powerbooks were (In general) built to last. You know what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking about getting a 1.42 GHz eMac and getting a 667MHz Powerbook. Those are two computers built to last. Just...Trust me on this one dude....Get a 1.67GHz powerbook. lol
I agree 100% about the questions part... Since I'm considering a Powerbook I checked the Notebooks part and I found three PowerBook problems in the past 3-4 pages. Not bad!

How did/does iWork run on your PB? And how about shuffling through pictures in iPhoto (I have over 5K Ferrari and other car pics).

Thanks a TUN! Your a great help. I can't believe that I might get out with like 200 bucks extra for an external HD rather then spending more money!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

I never used iWork on my powerbook. Regardless of the computer you use, if you have over 5,000 pictures to upload, it's going to take a while. It didn't take too long for pictures to open/upload on the powerbook though, it just depended on the size. I figured about 200 pictures took about a minute to upload onto the screen to work on. I don't know, unless you're a meticulous person like myself, I'd get a powerbook. This glossy screen on my macbook is driving me nuts, I CANNOT touch it without having to go get cleaner to get the oil, etc off. Just start off with a powerbook. If you don't like it, you can always resell it and try a macbook.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

If your choice really is between a PowerBook (with a 6 year old CPU architecture) and a modern Intel based machine, the PowerBook looks nicer, has a bigger (although much dimmer) screen and in some ways is probably better built. However, you're giving up a huge amount of CPU grunt, which is now starting to show.

Online HD content, photo editing, music DAPs and even general useage can all seem sluggish even on a fast G4.

The OP said this machine has to last 4 years; which means you're likely to see at least 2 OS X upgrades (10.6 and 10.7) and my bet is that neither will run on a G4 and this could mean you miss out on newer software in the future.

I say, go with a used Black MacBook, try and get a C2D and get an external monitor.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks?
Notice something else: A lot of these people that bought Macbooks are new to apple/macs and don't know much about it (like me) ... so of course there's gonna be a lot of questions.

Doesn't mean it's bad machines.

Yes the speakers are crap. Doesn't bother me as i use headphones most of the time. As for the rest, the screen is small, but I got the Mini DVI to DVI adapter and plugged in my 19" LCD as a second monitor for when i'm home. I run Photoshop and work on 60-80 MB images and can still itunes, safari, mail without any noticeable slowdowns.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So lost... help?! | Help - I need a Mac OSX learning program »