New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Bootcamp with XP or Vista?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nmccready

nmccready is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0

I want to get boot camp so running so I can play a greater variety of games, and I was wondering if I should get Vista or XP? Before I switched to a Mac, I had XP and avoided Vista like the plague because it had just come out and I heard horrible things about it. So, I'm wondering if these horrible things have been fixed yet and if it would be a better idea to go with the latest version of Windows or just stick with XP?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

nmccready,

Vista has come a long way, baby And people are becoming happier with it every day, especially since SP1. BUT, having said that, all the PC mags that compare benchmarks NOW still show Vista coming up slower than XP, by 10-15%. If it's games you want, I'd suggest going with XP. You'll more likely get faster play than with Vista.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i installed vista on my macbook for gaming, and i'm installing xp later this week. i would suggest xp. it runs using much less of your system (leaving more for the games). i believe most pc gamers are still sticking with xp for the time.
QUOTE Thanks
nmccready

Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0

Alright I'll go with XP, thanks. By the way, does anyone know what version of XP would be the most appropriate? It seems there are pro, home, corporate, and maybe other editions of Windows. I'd probably go with whatever is cheapest as long as it isn't lacking any features that I'll need.

-Edit-

Or better yet, can I borrow a friend's Windows CD and install it without running into any trouble? I recall a friend having trouble getting updates after doing this with his Mac, but I think that was with an illegitimate copy of Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

nmccready,

Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116056

This is XP Home for $85 shipped from Newegg, possibly the best price you'll find and certainly the most used version available. It's the same one I have and it works great.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

I would definitely run XP if you're looking to do gaming.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I also agree on the XP. Unless the games you play use DX 10. Then you'll need Vista I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
nmccready

I'm planning to play games that come out in the years to come... is it likely future games won't support DirectX 9 or whatever XP uses? Are there graphical benefits to running DirectX 10?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

nmccready,

There have been rumors for some time now that MS will port DX10 to XP. But it is a possibility that future games will not be written for DX9. I think MS has had its hands slapped by its customers over the way it handled the DX10 foibles and I believe it is being re-thought...

Your guess is as good as mine. Right now Vista has the DX10 edge, but Vista IS still slower with games...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Fonts Are Confused! | How to Kill an Endless Copy? »